Hops prevents cancer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Xanthohumol also appears to have a role as a fairly powerful antioxidant - even more than vitamin E. And it has shown the ability to reduce the oxidation of LDL, or bad cholesterol."

Hops is a wonder drug!

read an article yesterday touting cannabinoids for the same properties (on a main stream media site none-the-less)

BeeGee said:
So as long as I enjoy a hoppy beer while I smoke a cigar I'm good? This will be a good corollary to my theory that if a drink a day is healthy, then 7 on Saturday night works about the same...

No, they said in the News story I watched that alcohol consumption in conjunction with smoking tobacco actually increases your chance of cancer alot more then just smoking alone.

Something about the smoke resins in your mouth and swallowing the beer, going to your stomach and intestines, blah, blah. I dont remember.

But hey if the shoe fits..............

Yes, they are related.

"Humulus [hops] and Cannabis are the only two genera in the family Cannabinaceae and there are many similarities between hemp (Cannabissativa) and the cultivated hop. The nettle family is also rather less closely related being in the same order, the Urticales. It is possible to produce viable grafts between hops and hemp and it is reported that pollination of hops by hemp, annual nettle (Urtica urens) or perennial nettle (Urtica dioica) stimulates cone development but only abortive embryos are produced. It was reported by Warmke and Davidson (1944) that hop scions grafted onto Cannabis stocks produced cannabinoid resins and this led to interest in the technique as a means of producing such material while avoiding legal restrictions."

Seems like the latter experiment didn't get very far. I suspect because cannabis is an annual and this would be really labor intensive.

david_42 said:
...Seems like the latter experiment didn't get very far. I suspect because cannabis is an annual and this would be really labor intensive.

In a controlled indoor enviroment, with proper care, they can grow for years. Experiments have been done with grafting male plants to females for self pollination, as well attempts in creating certain hybrids. The the "mother" plants have many times out lived many generations of clones and hybrids. I would think legal issues would be the failure of any experiment.

Also, the hindu have a different approach to harvesting cannabis than all others in the world, as they do not "kill" their plants. They have grown and harvested FROM their plants for many years, rather than full plant harvesting. In their words "You dont need to kill a cow to receive its milk"

Interesting subject.

Interesting, I had a tomato plant that kept bearing fruit for 22 months and that was outside. Still, "controlled indoor enviroment, with proper care," seems expensive. Too bad the hop plant stems aren't usable as fiber sources since they die back anyway. (at least around here)

Back