Yeast inactive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TW1Kell

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at wine-making, tho I have been beer brewing for a few months, now. I followed a recipe for peach wine and everything went fine for about 2 weeks. I pitched to my secondary, and the airlock was popping about every 2 seconds, letting a nice bubble up. After 2 days of this, it started getting really foamy and filled the airlock full of foam. I used a straw to remove enough of the foamy mess to have the liquid back to the "fill line" on the airlock, and all was well for another 2 days. At that point, it all stopped. Nothing. No foam, no bubbles, just sediment settling down in the wine. Is this normal? I don't see any activity, at all.

I used 2.5 pounds of peaches, 7 pints of water, pectin, acid blend,etc., all of the goodies listed in the recipe, and a full package of yeast, as came with my kit and as advised in the recipe book that came with it. If this is just normal, fine, but I am concerned as it's my 1st attempt and I have no knowledge to draw from. Thanks for any insight.

So...you think I'm still ok? I haven't a clue to what's going on in that carboy. hahaha SG measurements?

The haha was aimed at the not having a clue. Can I pour the SG sample back in, with wine? I mean, taking samples takes a bit of the good stuff and I'm starting out with only a gallon, in the first place.

you dont pitch to your secondary...you transfer, you can dump the test sample back in aslong as everything is sanitized....what kind of yeast did you use?

I used 2.5 pounds of peaches, 7 pints of water, pectin, acid blend,etc., all of the goodies listed in the recipe

Hears another possible problem, did you use pectin or pectic enzyme?? The enzyme is there to break down the pectin which is a good thing because pectin makes for cloudy wine.

Also I don't see anything in your recipe about sugar, how much of that did you add??

I am not at home, so I don't have my recipe with me. I'll post the entire recipe, when I get back home. I do recall that it was around 4-6 pounds of sugar, I think.

Back