Northern Brewer high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been brewing Brewers Best kits for some time now, and have been within a reasonable range of their predicted OG. The last 2 kits I brewed were from Northern Brewer, and I came in high on both of them. I followed the instructions to the letter, and I even checked with a second hydrometer. The top-off water was mixed in thoroughly. Anyone have the same experience with Northern Brewer kits? Thanks.:drunk:

I've done numerus kits from northern brewer and all came in about +/- .003 the expected origonal gravity.

Sometimes the top up waater does'nt mix well. Switch to full boils when you can:mug:

I've done numerus kits from northern brewer and all came in about +/- .003 the expected origonal gravity.

Sometimes the top up waater does'nt mix well. Switch to full boils when you can:mug:

Aside from a higher ABV, is there a downside to the higher OG?

This is an extract kit? You can add more water (and increase the volume) if you want to bring the OG down or just let it go how it is and have a higher abv.

This is an extract kit? You can add more water (and increase the volume) if you want to bring the OG down or just let it go how it is and have a higher abv.

It's already chugging away in the swamp cooler, so I guess I have a stronger Caribou Slobber. There's far worse things in life.:mug:

Back