3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! I will have to try it that way. I have a few questions..

Do you sanitize the bag before dry hopping?

Do you dry hip at room temp or chilled?

Do you dry hop with the keg under pressure or not?

Is it possible to leave the hops in too long and get off flavors?

Thanks!

If it helps you, I did this recipe with 4oz dry hops in the keg and left them in there for probably 6 weeks. It tasted fresh and was very aromatic the entire time.

In my experience, you don't really need to worry about grassy flavors as long as the keg stays chilled, and mine was chilled and under pressure the entire time. IMO.. if you don't want off flavors from the hops, you should remove them if stored at room temp, or just chill immediately and not worry about it.

Thanks ja09! I'll follow your fermentation schedule!
I'm not sure how high of a quality my citra is, probably not the greatest. I bought a pound about a year ago, then forgot about it. I've kept it them in my freezer the whole time, and they're still sealed in the nitrogen flushed package. I'm hoping the degradation isn't too bad since they are pellets. Either way the recipe looks great, and I need to use these hops up before they get any older.
At the very least I'll have something to compare when I get fresh citra.

Well, I brewed this recipe yesterday. The hops still have a strong citrus/mango scent. I tasted the wort and it tastes great! I used WLP002 because my local brewshop doesn't have S-04.

Cheers!

Subbed. Brewing this next.

Whats the final recipe? I've never had the original. Below is what I have for extract...is it even necessary to boil for 60 minutes or will 15 be okay?:

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Zombie Dust
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 11.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 11 63.2 %
1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 10.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 10.5 %
8.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 29.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 21.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 12.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 2.6 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------

Sparge: Fly sparge with 6.00 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe there should be a first wort hop which would require 60 minutes boiling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes. I'm sure you would make a good beer with a 15 min boil, just not the same recipe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

if the math was right, i was around .048
got down to a pretty dry .008
so 5.25%

the batch after that one, i fly sparged and hit higher than expected.
im now waiting on a porter to finish to see how that turns out.

I'm down to what should be that last few pints of this and it's still fantastic. I think this will be the first recipe that i brew twice. I may be biased though, I have too much citra in the freezer.

I see the original post states that it should be mashed at 154 F, but if London ESB 1968 is used to mash a few degrees cooler.

What are you people brewing with 1968 mashing at? Would 150 be a good temperature to aim at? Beersmith estimates a final gravity of 1.015 if I set the mash temperature to 150. I don't want to end up with something that is too sweet :)

If fermenting at 65 with 1968 do you raise the temperature a few of degrees after a couple of days for a diacetyl rest?

Thanks!

New to home brewing and I am doing the extract clone with a friend. We are going to use the dry yeast. Using the "yeast calculator" It says to use 22 g. Should we pitch just one packet at 11g or throw in two?

We will rehydrate the yeast. How much yeast should we pitch?

New to home brewing and I am doing the extract clone with a friend. We are going to use the dry yeast. Using the "yeast calculator" It says to use 22 g. Should we pitch just one packet at 11g or throw in two?

We will rehydrate the yeast. How much yeast should we pitch?

One rehydrated packet will be just fine.

I brewed a batch of this a couple of days before xmas and just bottled last week. Even uncarbed it tasted great. This one goes in my rotation.

I used wlp 051 and mashed around 152/153 and it went from 1063 to 1018.

I brewed the extract version of this Christmas Eve

-12/24 - into primary
-1/3 - into secondary for dry hopping
-1/10 - racked 1 gallon with 0.75oz more citra for second dry hop (just to see) and bottled the remaining ~3.5 gallons.
-1/17 - bottled last gallon

Unfortunately my hydrometer broke the morning of so I didn't get gravity readings, but given that I ended up with only about 4.5-4.75 gallons I'm guessing that it's a little more potent than it was supposed to be.

I tried a chilled bottled on 1/17 and it wasn't very good at all though had heavy mango nose, I knew it was early just wanted to test. Tried another chilled bottle on 1/24 and it was utterly delicious. Heavy mango and papaya nose, great head, very nice mango/papaya flavor with a great toasted biscuit flavor at the end. I will certainly be brewing this again as I've had a couple more bottles since. Now I know not to even bother tasting it only a week into the bottle. I'm very interested to see how the extra dry hopped gallon batch will turn out. Will probably be too much but it was all for science.

Thinking about making my second batch of this phenom on monday.
I plan to make a full 5 gal and even though I could keg it, I'll bottle the FFF for long term bottle conditioning.
I say long term, because I devoured it last year before it reached peak.
3oz Citra for Dry Hop for 5 days in secondary / 3 week minimum in the bottle before tasting.
Savor every oz of this beauty. This is probably the best recipe I have found anywhere online.
If your a lover of everthing 60 to 100 IBU and you are itching to brew while it's still cold outside, this is the one
Thanks! to Skeezerpleezer

Thinking about making my second batch of this phenom on monday.
I plant to make a full 5 gal and even though I could keg it, I'll bottle the FFF for long term bottle conditioning.
I say long term, because I devoured it last year before it reached peak.
3oz Citra for Dry Hop for 5 days in secondary / 3 week minimum in the bottle before tasting.
Savor every oz of this beauty. This is probably the best recipe I have found anywhere online.
If your a lover of everthing 60 to 100 IBU and you are itching to brew while it's still cold outside, this is the one
Thanks! to Skeezerpleezer

Cheers!!

Just kegged my adaptation of a Citrus IPA that was inspired from this thread. Still havent had a chance to try the original Zombie dust as I dont live near 3 floyds, but if it is anywhere near as good as the first time I brewed this clone Im glad it exist. Citra is my favorite hop and love the very mangoey aroma that it finishes with

Going to make this this upcoming weekend. Just a few questions as it will only be my 5th all-grain batch.
1) Batch size says 6 gallons. I am assuming this will yield 5 gallons in the keg?

2) I am planning on using the London 1968. I am shooting to mash at 152 for 60 mins, right?

Really excited about this recipe. My parents live in Crown Point, IN and have been mailing me cases of Zombie Dust. Hopefully if this turns out as great as I hope they won't have o do that (as much, haha).

I tried a bottle of my zombie dust clone yesterday, it tasted great! I've never had a commercial example, so I can't give a comparison, but this is one of the best pale ales I've ever had. Thanks for the recipe! I bought another lb of citra so I can make it again.

I brewed this ZD again today. I put somewhat of a twist on the method part. I used the exact grain bill and the same hop schedule. I swamped the sparge with 7 gallons of And got a total boil of 8 gallons. My purpose for this was to facilitate a 120 minute boil. I got mad efficiency 1.075 and that was a real suprise. Put exactly 5 gallons of wort in the fermenter and pitched the S-04.
Cheers!

So it's in the keg and tastes amazing. Not really a clone as I used 1/2 Amarillo and 1/2 Citra in all my additions.
I get mango/grapefruit with some dank.

I'm drinking the ZD clone that I made with Heady Topper Yeast (I used Gigayeast 054 Vermont IPA yeast). The first one I made with WL001, and it was great. This one with the Heady Topper yeast is absolutely over the top! What a great brew..try the Heady Topper yeast.

I have made this several times in the extract version and love it.
I have recently moved to AG and I'm excited to do the AG version to compare.
One question I have though....
If I want to double to a 10 gallon batch do I just double the ingredients or is it better just to make 2 5 gallon batches?

I make this recipe a couple time per year! Always all grain. Last time, I made a 10 g batch so I would have 5g to take to a party. I just doubled the batch and put in 10g fermentor. Then legged 2 five gallon batches and dry hopped. It turned out exactly as it always does. Doubling the recipe will be fine...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have made this several times in the extract version and love it.
I have recently moved to AG and I'm excited to do the AG version to compare.
One question I have though....
If I want to double to a 10 gallon batch do I just double the ingredients or is it better just to make 2 5 gallon batches?
yo can brew it at ten, just use the percentages listed, using your software make sure you set the IBU, and ABV and you should be fine.

It is good stuff!! I have also used the same grain bill and used Falconers Flight 7C's hops and it also turned out great.
Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Turned out really good. Not quite as citrusy as using all citra. A little more piney taste associated with the cascade I believe.

Here is the finished product.... To bad it is dark out has a much better color in the sun light....
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398655463.368397.jpg

Back