Parti-Gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeDelta1

Reaction score
My brain hurts. I did a test batch for a planned parti gyle in a couple of weeks. I was doing an 11 gallon blonde so I did a batch sparge, no mash out trying to get equal runnings (luckily I nailed it) these are the pre boil numbers since that is what i'll be working with on parti gyle day:

Total: 15 gallons of 1.041 wort

First Runnings: 7.5 gallons of 1.066 wort

Second Runnings: 7.5 Gallons of 1.029 wort

Either my numbers are out of whack or my math is. All numbers are temp corrected.

Using 1.041 or 41 points * 15 gallons = 615 points

First Runnings ended up around 80%
Second Runnings ended up around 35%

And that is where my brain started hurting......they don't add up, doesn't make sense.

The OG of my planned Parti-Gyle is 1.060 Pre Boil 1.049
So if i forget about the numbers not adding up my two beers should come out:
First Runnings IPA: 1.096 Pre Boil 1.078
Second Runnings APA: 1.042 Pre Boil: 1.034

The IPA is a little higher then where I want to be, I'd like to be around 1.070 for the big and 1.050 for the small.

Is there a calculator that if i put in the volumes of each of the preboil containers and enter the original OG and plug in what I want it to be that will give me an amount to swap out? ex: take 1 gallon of strong and trade it with 1 gallon of the weak

This is the grain bill if interested:
20 lb US 2 Row
4 lb Vienna Malt
1 lb CaraPils
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Munich

Hop Schedule for IPA: (Should give me around 64 IBU)
1 oz Centennial 60 Min
1 oz Centennial 15 Min
1 oz Centennial 5 Min
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Hop Schedule for APA (Should give me around 38 IBU)
.50 oz Falconer's Flight 60 Min
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight 15 Miin
.5 oz Falconer's Flight 5 Min

Other than does this look like it can be done and tasty, the main question is there a blending calculator out there?

the main question is there a blending calculator out there?

I think beersmith has a dilution calculator that might be able to do what you need. Worst case scenario you convert all of your figures to pppg and figure it out longhand.

As far as the efficiencies not adding up on your blonde, without knowing how much grain you used it's hard to say where the mistake is. Depending on how you were calculating, you may need to average the efficiencies, not add them. If that's the case could it be that you got ~60% overall efficiency?

I read that article that is how I started my calculations until the numbers in my first try came out funny. I researched further and found that more people seem to get around a 70/30 split with some getting around 75/25, in that case I was pretty close. After further thought my second number is probably not correct because I vorlaughed (sp) then drained off about a pint to use to take my gravity reading, the first part of the runnings were probably stronger then the later runnings. I did find a spreadsheet that may be able to help me blend the two worts.

http://www.antiochsudsuckers.com/tom/

The Tom O's Parti Gyle Cipherin Sheet appears to have what I need kind of baked in.

I will post back in a couple of weeks with my results. Thanks for the assistance.

From what I can tell you've mixed up your math in a few places. My assumption for my math is that the only gravity readings you took were your first and second runnings. That would make a total combined gravity of [email protected] with total gravity points of 712. If you took gravity readings at first, second, and final blending of both runnings then you have a measurement off. Personally I've found inconsistency in my preboil gravity if I haven't stirred it sufficiently. If my original assumption holds true your total mash efficiency works out to about 72% and a 70/30 split between the two runnings. So your first runnings works out to an overall efficiency of 50% and the second is 22%. This is about average for partigyles that I've done. This is the easiest way that I've found to make a partigyle recipe, work off of your total mash efficiencies, the only thing that will be off in that case is your color that that is relatively simple to correct for in your notes. Happy Big Beer Brewing. :mug:

I make sure to have my refractometer handy and some dried malt extract so I can make an adjustment if my gravity is off. If you ended up with too high of gravity you can dilute with water.

this may be the redneck in me but could you set up your two gyle's how you want them (volume wise) and adjust them manually by blending them by hand to reach your target OG's? just a few cups and a time, stirring and measuring, before the boil. might take a bit but it'll be accurate and it won't be much math!

that's my lazy man answer. or my bad at math man answer.

Back