The Michelada, the beer lover's Bloody Mary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not real big on Bloody Marys but I came across this recipe and figured I'd pass it on for those who are. :mug:

Michelada, the beer lover's Bloody Mary

recipe_c_michelada_211x272.jpg

12 oz. tomato juice
Juice of 6 medium limes, fresh-squeezed
6–8 dashes Tabasco sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Half a small onion
2 Tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. pequín chile powder
1/4 cup plus 1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 bottles light Mexican beer
Ice
Tool: blender
Glass: pint, chilled
Garnish: chile-salt rim, lime wheel

Place first five ingredients, along with half a teaspoon of pequín chile powder and half a teaspoon of salt, into a blender and process for 1 minute or until smooth to make michelada mix. Combine remaining chile powder with remaining sea salt.
Rim four chilled pint glasses with the chile salt and fill with ice. Fill each glass 1/4 full with michelada mix and fill the remainder with beer. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Serves 4.

Sergio Ruiz, Xochitl, Philadelphia

whisky lovers don't put sh*t in their whisky, beer lovers don't put sh*t in their beer.

Mercy, that is the most complicated micheleada recipe I've ever seen! Usually lime + salt + Worcestershire (or Magi), hot sauce and tomato juice are optional. No blender needed.

If all you have is BMC, a michelada is the best way to choke it down.

I LOVE micheladas! My experience is to have it negra (they ask if you want it claro or negra, corona or negra modelo) in Oaxaca. They use the seasoned salt made with crushed coachroaches (don't ask!) and it's so fantastic you can't believe it.

It so good for several reasons- I'm a huge worchestershire sauce fan; the seasoned salt is wonderful; I love tomato juice; it's the best way to choke down Mexican beer; and the atmosphere! Drinking in Mexico is better than any other thing I can imagine, besides drinking in the Bahamas, Honduras, or Belize. Belize is my most favorite place to drink bad beer (Belikin), especially when snorkeling or diving the Blue Hole. Second place is the Bahamas (Kalik), followed by Mexico (Negra Medeo). Michelada is a great invention! It goes great with ceviche.

i'm a bartender and I love making complicated drinks. Have you ever tried Frank's Red Hot instead of Tobasco? I prefer to use it at home for bloody mary's, as the bars i work in never seem to carry it, but I like it because it has a softer flavor profile, with a nice burn on the back of the throat without being aggressive. I always found tobasco hits the tip of your tongue with spice too hard and distracts you from the flavor of the rest of the ingredients. I'm gonna put your recipe to work first before I try a modification-i just figured I'd share. :mug:

In my neck of the woods, this is called a chabela (chavela) and every bar has their own secret. They all basically start off with clamato and add in a variety of mexican hot sauces and spice mix. Then add in your favorite beer. They're really good, but I'm not a big fan of clamato or tomato juice and I like my beer by itself.

My family in Guatemala calls it a michelada if there is tomato/clamato in it and chelada if there isn't... Seems like everywhere is a little different

Back