Critique my brewstand design please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
I am looking for feedback on a brewstand I am thinking of building.

First a diagram of the layout.
http://www.pbase.com/me2001/image/71581680

Its a clone of a More Beer 1550.
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15198

I have a HERMS unit now, but I need to change the mash setup and I don't like my stand. I want something compact and yet nice to use. I don't want to be dragging out kettles and stands and pumps every time I want to brew something. I want to roll out one stand, plug it in and start brewing.

I already have most of the pieces to build this design.

My new design is a HERMS design but instead of putting the heat exchange coil in the hot water tank, it goes in its own heating tank. For now I have that being a corny keg, but I might change that. I'd like something a bit smaller. The heating tank is stirred via a pump so that the heat exchange between the water and the wort coil is good.

Here is another system designed like this.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/RIMS/

My heater tank and hot water tank will each have a computer controlled 4.5KW electric element. The whole heating system is controlled via laptop linked to the controls box by an RS232 cable. The pump speed is manually controlled by a dimmer switch.

There will be electronic temperature sensors in the mash vessel, the hot water tank and the heater tank. Temps will be displayed and plotted on the laptop.

The mash vessel is a 10 gallon Gott with a false bottom. It tips for easy emptying. The boiling kettle and hot water kettle are 15.5 gallon Sanke kegs. I want to be able to brew enough wort to fill 2 6 gallon carboys.

There will be no hard plumbed lines. No electronic control valves. All inlets/outlets will have quick connects. To change the flow, a few pieces of hose with QCs will be moved.

The only burner is under the boiling kettle. I didn't put a propane tank on the stand because I didn't want it near the burner heat and someday I'll probably connect this to natural gas and then I won't need a propane tank.

All the tanks will have level gauges.

I want it to be easy to clean after brewing. I am wondering how I will get the boiling kettle and hot water kettle totally empty when I am done brewing. Unplug them and turn them upside down ?

How does one dry the inside of hoses ? I am thinking of using an air hose to blow out the counter flow chiller after its been flushed. I am still trying to figure out how to get the heat exchange coil empty in the heater vessel.

I might put the valves in the bottom of the hot water tank and the mash vessel, not the side as is traditionally done.

The cart will be about 18 inches wide and nearly 4 feet long. I could make it shorter, but I don't want to bunch things up too much. I think the top of the mash vessel will be 6 to 6'6". I have to measure a few things to figure that out.

I'd like the mash process to basically run unattended. I love brewing and all, but I don't get many days where I can sit and watch the temp of the mash for several hours at a time. I'd get a lot more brewing in if I had a system that I could set up and start and then check every hour or so.

It would be really great if I could brew on a work night without going to bed at 1AM ! (I brew beers with multi step mash schedules and my present system is very slow to raise temps.) I can see a couple ways for this to happen. 1) I set up the stand and my wife starts it early in the afternoon and I sparge when I get home from work. Basically the mash cooking happens while I am at work. 2) I come home from work at lunch and start the mash cooking. 3) I come home from work early, like 4PM with the stand already set up and loaded and the water already up to temperature.

I can't see a problem with running unattended, except if the bed /compacted or stuck for some reason. I'd almost like to put a flow meter on the wort flow, but that would be overkill right ? I could add a USB camera or two to the laptop and watch it over the Internet ! At least with a HERMs you don't have to worry about scorched wort if the flow stops. And with the computer controlling the temp in the heater water, nothing is going to get out of control.

I'll set the laptop on a desk/bench/cart a ways away from the action. With RS232, I could make the cable up to 30 feet long. I'd love to put it right on the stand, but I'm worried about the heat and it getting dirty or WET !

I was thinking of adding a fold out shelf to the stand, to set things like a paper notebook, hops, etc right there. Thinking about it again, I say its a bad idea because things will get wet and dirty there. Better to put them on a nearby desk/bench/cart, right ? And yet I always seem to have stuff laying on the floor at my feet when I brew ! I hate that.

Do you think having the mash vessel high up will be a pain ? I can design the step so that it holds a garbage can that the mash vessel tips into when I want to get rid of the spent grain.

I'd go single tier, but that kinda means you need 2 pumps and the stand becomes longer. Takes up more room in the garage when not brewing. I like the idea of a tipping mash vessel too.

I'll need 240V for the heating elements. That means it will be difficult to take it to my local brew club or my friends place to do a brew. It also means that when I move I'll need to wire 240V into the garage/patio before I can brew. I never brew inside the house. Maybe its just me.

I'll make the stand out of mild steel and paint it. I'd like to use SS or aluminum, but the cost and difficulty welding it rule it out. I'm a good stick welder and I have a shop to build this setup myself if I use mild steel.

I'll be brewing about 10 batches a year, mostly in winter. I like lagers and fruit beers, but my tastes are changing as I get more experienced. I want a brew system that will last and I'll be happy with for the next 10-15 years. Part of the reason I haven't brewed for 6 years is because my old equipment sucked and it was hard to get a good result. (Temp control problems, slow temp rise, setting up and clean up was a hassle, etc.) Its a crying shame that I stopped brewing.

What would you change to make this design better ?

Thanks.

57 views and nobody has anything to say ?

Would you build it the way I am planning ? Should I do something different ? If it landed in your garage, would you use it or haul it to the trash ?

brewman ! said:
57 views and nobody has anything to say ?

Would you build it the way I am planning ? Should I do something different ? If it landed in your garage, would you use it or haul it to the trash ?

I have no idea! It does sound like you have thought it all through properly so I would just go for it and see what happens. I have no experience whatsoever with these setups!:p ...but at least you have a comment :D

way over my head but it sounds like you have thought it out

go for it!!

Sounds like overkill for homebrewing, but some of you have way cooler setups than me. :)

Brewpot, Cooler/Mash Tun, Bucket, Carboy, Keg - all you should ever need :p

We discussed a few of my thoughts earlier, but I just re-read and found one little part that might become troublesome - your pump control. If you're using a mag-drive pump (like the March ones on More Beer), they don't take kindly to voltage regulation as a means of speed control. They are designed to have the motor run at full speed while the pump mechanism "slips" via the magnetic coupling. Restricting the inlet or outlet with a ball valve (manually or electrically operated) is a much better means of controlling your flow rate.

I'd add handles to help with moving it around (on the left side of your side-view drawing). Any estimate on how much it'll weight dry? Also, you might consider larger/softer wheels than the ones on the reference design, especially if you have to traverse any bumps or low steps.

I like your design a lot.

Some points;

If you are choosing to not use valves and go with disconnects, why can you not go single tier with one pump?

Are you planning on writing the software yourself? You are brave young padewan...

Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers,

knewshound

We discussed a few of my thoughts earlier, but I just re-read and found one little part that might become troublesome - your pump control. If you're using a mag-drive pump (like the March ones on More Beer), they don't take kindly to voltage regulation as a means of speed control. They are designed to have the motor run at full speed while the pump mechanism "slips" via the magnetic coupling. Restricting the inlet or outlet with a ball valve (manually or electrically operated) is a much better means of controlling your flow rate.

I'm actually not using a mag drive pump. I'm using a "Pony" pump, like this one.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/16818_16818.htm The place that I bought mine from also sells a special high temperature impeller for it. The basic pump is rated for use to 160F and I think its rated to 200F with the high temp impeller. Anyway, I've used it for a while with no problems.

There are two basic types of AC motors. One type is called an induction motor. These are brushless and run at synchronous speed. 900, 1800, 3600 RPM, etc. regardless of the voltage you supply them. They will overheat if run on non sinusoidal waveforms or with low voltage. The other type of motor is a brushed motor. They are commonly used in drills, saws, routers, etc. Well, the Pony type pumps are brushed motors. Their speed is proportional to the voltage you run them at. They will slow down with a simple dimmer switch.

I'd add handles to help with moving it around (on the left side of your side-view drawing).

I plan to make something like the wheel barrow option on the More Beer model. The handles slide out on the left side and slide back in when not in use.

Any estimate on how much it'll weight dry?

Nope. Its going to take about 40 feet of tubing. I figured I'd use 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing with 0.100" wall. So 40 feet of tubing, 2 kegs, 1 pump, 1 mash vessel. 150 pounds ?

Also, you might consider larger/softer wheels than the ones on the reference design, especially if you have to traverse any bumps or low steps.

That is a good idea. My next house might have a brick driveway. Would be terrible with small wheels.

I like your design a lot.

I thought people were going to tell me I was nuts putting the mash vessel up like that ! Or to put the water vessel on top.

If you are choosing to not use valves and go with disconnects, why can you not go single tier with one pump?

I think with a single tier you need 2 pumps because you have to move water from the hot water tank to the mash vessel and wort from the mash vessel to the boiler at the same time. As far as I can tell, that takes 2 pumps.

With my setup now, I can use gravity to flow wort from the mash vessel to the boiler and use the pump to pump the sparge water up to the grain bed.

Are you planning on writing the software yourself? You are brave young padewan...

Yes. I've got a degree in computer science. I'll share the code if people want it. I'm writing the laptop part in Java, so it will run on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Its a stand alone Java app, not one that runs in a browser.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Sure thing.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I'm not hearing any loud protests. I guess that is a good thing.

"How does one dry the inside of hoses ? I am thinking of using an air hose to blow out the counter flow chiller after its been flushed. I am still trying to figure out how to get the heat exchange coil empty in the heater vessel."

When I'm done with my brew session and have run PBW through all the stainless piping and high temp. tubing on my RIMS system I have it set up with a ball-valve that I hook my shop-vac up to and then crack open the system at various points either with other ball valves or quick connects and let that sucker run for a few minutes. The shop-vac has done a good job so far. One quick recommendation if you ever store your system where it might freeze is to make certain you drain all or most of the water from your pump or any place that might be damaged by the expansion of water as it freezes. I don't know anyone personally but have heard that people have had pumps ruined because they didn't do a good job draining their system after cleaning. Oh, larger softer wheels are the way to go. I roll my single tier RIMS out of my shed across a couple of rough areas and I deinitely need to change my wheels. So far the system looks well thought out and well planned. My system has my mash vessel a little too high for me to flat foot look into it, so some day I may try to lower my entire system about 6 inches. I also like the idea of having the mash vessel on a tippy-dump swivel as lifting that thing is getting more difficult as I get older and scooping out the spent grain is slow going. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jeffrey

What do you do when you are in another country with high end 3-D modeling software and extra time... Well, you start to draw up a brew system.

Brewman! Here is my start at modeling your system.

6704-00b000-1rs.jpg

6704-00b000-2rs.jpg

What is PBW ?

I like the shop vac idea. Better than the air hose. Lots of good ideas here. I used to think I knew something about brewing until I started spending my spare time reading here.

My system has my mash vessel a little too high for me to flat foot look into it, so some day I may try to lower my entire system about 6 inches.

Do you think I should strive to lower mine ? I could actually drop the hot water tank right down like 6" off the floor and move the stuff that is underneath it to the side of it. A keg is a little under 24 inches high. At 6" off the ground, I could I could have the bottom of the mash vessel at 36ish inches.

A Rubbermaid Gott is 21 inches high with the lid, so it would be 57 inches. Someone 5 feet tall should be able to peer in. I'm 6' tall. The only thing is that I would probably have to stretch the stand a bit to relocate the stuff that was under the hot water tank to beside it. Hmmm... something to think about.

Leaving the water heater keg where it is (under the hot water tank) will move everything up about 11 inches. The top of the mash vessel would be about 68 inches. One would have to step up to look into the mash vessel.

Maybe its time to start drawing things to scale.

This is the sort of info I am looking for ! Pet peeves that people have with their brewing rigs that I can avoid in building mine.

Thanks, runhard !

Thanks, fifelee. Is that to scale ?

Not to sound ungrateful, but can you stand a 6' tall man beside it ?

BTW: the distance under the hot water kettle is for a corny keg, a little over 8 inches.

And if you wanted, you could stand the corny up in the back, behind the boil and hot water kettles and then drop the hot water kettle to the ground.

The only thing I am worrying about is the heat from the burner affecting the corny keg.

Looks like I will need a chute to dump the mash vessel, otherwise grain will end up in the hot water kettle.

A carpenter measures twice and cuts once. A designer asks a whole bunch of questions and builds once ! This will already be my second go at building a system. In my defense, the knowledge base was a lot different 8 years ago. People have learned a thing or two since then.

Did I mention how much I like my Better Bottles compared to my old glass carboys. I do.

brewman ! said:
A carpenter measures twice and cuts once. A designer asks a whole bunch of questions and builds once ! This will already be my second go at building a system. In my defense, the knowledge base was a lot different 8 years ago. People have learned a thing or two since then.

Did I mention how much I like my Better Bottles compared to my old glass carboys. I do.

I go the measure three times and cut twice method. Gives me lots of bits of wood to start my wood heater in the winter. :)

brewman ! said:
Not to sound ungrateful, but can you stand a 6' tall man beside it ?

BTW: the distance under the hot water kettle is for a corny keg, a little over 8 inches.

No worries. I am somewhat doing this for myself, but will gladly help how I can. My main problem is that I have to guess on dimensions for the equipment. I got the cooler dimensions online, but I don't know typical kettle and corny dimensions.

brewman ! said:
I've never figured out how to cut a board and make it longer. Maybe that is why I'm not a carpenter !
If you cut the board at an angle and slide the two pieces it makes it longer (and thinner)...

biggerboard.JPG

*chuckle... now instead of a board that is too short, its too narrow ! At least it isn't too short anymore.

There is some nice stuff out there.

Here is a nice, simple HERMs system. He did the same thing I am going to do. The second cooler is his heater water. I think this idea is catching on. I like how there is no excess plumbing or anything, just connect up the hoses and go.

http://www.djlarrylive.com/index.html

I love how he used the small cooler as the heater water. He doesn't need anywhere near 50 feet of tubing in there, especially if he would add a stirrer.

I'm waffling on the shape and size of the mash vessel. I'm getting excited about brewing 12 gallon batches. My boil keg is 15.5 gallons, so I should be able to boil 13sih gallons, right ?

It appears that a 10 gallon Gott is good for about 14 pounds of grain. Which is 30 pnts x 24 / 12 gallons = 1.060. Max. It would be nice to have a little more capacity than that.

And yet I want to brew 6 gallon batches of light beers from time to time. If I did that the bed depth in a rectangular would be pretty shallow. With the Gott it would be OK though.

So what is the solution ? Multiple mash vessels ? (I fly sparge and have multiple step mashes.)

The other issue is not to get a cooler that is too wide for the width of the stand. The Gott is good that way.

A 48 Quart Igloo Cube is less than half price of a Rubbermaid Gott and it holds a bit more. Some people swear by them as mash vessels. Its shorter too, meaning easier to see into, less overall height.

Decisions, decisions.

Is there any reason my hot water tank has to be a keg ? It only has to go to 170Fish , so couldn't I mount a 4.5KW element in it and use an igloo cube ? All it does is hold water. As a bonus, they are insulated, so they don't heat the place up as much and they don't lose heat.

I have 2 kegs, but I want to save one for a fermentor.

I actually have 3 more kegs, but I cut the tops off of them below the handles and I don't want that any more. That cuts them down to about 14 gallons. I want the handles on and I like that the top of the keg rolls over.

Here is one of them: http://www.pbase.com/me2001/image/71646833

Now that I look at it again, I might keep it for a brew kettle. I wish it was larger ! It would be very easy to boil over with 12+ gallons of wort in it. Or am I wrong ? How much extra space does one need when boiling ? I have a steel lid that fits it nicely. Don't you love it when the kettle boils over and puts out the flame ?

brewman ! said:
It appears that a 10 gallon Gott is good for about 14 pounds of grain. Which is 30 pnts x 24 / 12 gallons = 1.060. Max. It would be nice to have a little more capacity than that.
I can fit 14 lbs into my 5 gallon cooler. I just brewed up 13.5 lbs yesterday. You should be able to get about 25 lbs or so into a 10 gallon easy.

http://www.pbase.com/me2001/image/71656695

Latest iteration using 2 48 quart Igloo cubes and a small cooler for the heater vessel.

The cubes are 17inches on a side. They hold 12 gallons versus 10.5 gallons for the Gott. They are 1/3 the price of a Gott too, maybe less.

With the cubes, the top of the mash vessel is about 48", more or less negating the need for a step.

I should have dropped the brewing kettle down further so that the mash vessel can fill it entirely by gravity.

I can't believe that such a small layout could do 10 or 12 gallon brews ! That is exciting for me because I've got friends that want to brew with me.

Oh, and I don't throw my spent grains in the garbage. They get composted.

Here is another brewery that uses the mini heat exchanger.
http://www.texanbrew.com/index.php?topic=me

brewman ! said:
What is PBW ?

PWB is Powdered Brewery Wash is has worked very well for my RIMS system. I just heat the water to 150°F/65°C and circulate through the system while I clean other brewday necessities. I then rinse by circulating a few gallons of clean water that was left over from chilling the wort and then hook up the shop-vac and let it go to work. There are tons of different cleaners I've just used this one and like it. I know one guy who uses a grocery store brand of OxyClean Free. I look at the ingredients on the store brand and it is sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. I'll defer to a metallurgist to discuss if hydrogen peroxide is safe for stainless, brass, and copper. I'm way late to work but your plans sound very solid. Have fun with it.
Jeffrey
runhard, raceEZ, and have a homebrew.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_56_36&products_id=514

runhard: thanks for the info.

I thought the same thing about the frame after I drew it last night, fifelee.

I like how everything is getting simpler and simpler.

I think I am going to abandon the Gotts for the Cubes. The Cubes are 17 inches to a side. One problem with the cubes is that the lid opens the wrong way WRT the spigot. I might have to swap the whole lay out left to right.

Even with the Gotts, there is really no reason to make the system as low as I did. The top of your mash tank is about 5 feet. My layout is almost too low.

As far as the control system goes, I am trying to find a serial port (RS232) board that has a number of 8 or 10 bit analog to digital converters on it as well as a few digital outputs.

Something like this, but these prices are too high.
http://www.superlogics.com/serial-data-acquisition/rs-232-analog-input-systems/115.htm

The analog to digital converters can be use to read temperature via thermistors. I like thermistors over thermocouples because they are cheap, accurate and you don't need special wire or connectors or junction temp correction to use them. One would need 1 ADC channel for every temperature sensor. I plan to run about 6 temp sensors, but fewer would probably do. (Hot water tank, heater tank, 2 in the mash bed, 1 for circulating wort in and 1 for circulating wort out.)

The digital outs can be used to drive solid state relays to turn things on and off. I've only got 2 things thus far, the 2 heater elements. I might add the pump to that.

Why RS232 and not USB ? Well, I'll be programming the control application in Java so that its multi platform. (Windows, Mac and Linux). And I don't know of any Java USB drivers for Windows. But I know of a Java RS232 driver for Windows and Linux and it might even work for the Mac.

It would be nice to use an off the shelf board instead of a micro controller so that people don't have to program the microcontroller. I can do the analog to digital and digital IO very easily with a $55 microcontroller, but I'd have to teach you guys how to download a program to it. Which truthfully, isn't very hard.

Here is a great microcontroller that could do all this and a whole lot more !
http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/50_69/products_id/311

It has an Ethernet interface, so it could be connected to the Internet via a router or you could just connect it to your laptop with an ethernet cable. Imagine being able to watch your mash progress from from a browser at work !

If your brewing room happens to have an Ethernet jack and you have a wireless router, you could plug the brew controller into your network and then take your laptop with you around the house and watch the mash progress while playing with your kids, having dinner with your wife, etc. I don't have an Ethernet jack in my garage, but I think I'd put one in for this purpose.

One could add a few sensors like maybe a mash bed level switch or a recirc flow sensor too.

Are you guys interested in this or am I building this for myself ? One can buy simple setpoint controllers for $65 each to run the heater elements if you want something easier. It is very easy to download a program to a microcontroller...

In case you haven't figured out, I brew some beers with long mash schedules. 30 minutes at 127F and then 2 hours at 15XF. I'd love to be able to program my brew stand to have the hot water up to temp at 6AM, get up and dough in the mash, set up recirc and... go back to sleep for a few hours ! Get up at 9AM with everything at mash out temps, ready to mash out and start the boil. That would be so neat. One could start a second batch while watching the boil on the first batch. Oh, and they would be 10 gallon batches, going straight into my Sanke keg fermentors. That would be heaven ! 20 gallons of high quality brew without breaking a sweat or wasting the entire day. Not that a brewing day is ever wasted.

My father in law is a beer drinker and lives out of town. He loved some of my beers back when I was brewing. We are always bored when he visits. If I had this setup he could bring a couple carboys and we could brew a couple 12 gallon batches and split them. That would be so neat, especially for him. He loves making kit wines, but would never build a brewing rig. He'd love to ferment his own brews.

You're using an old lappy to control this thing, right?

No, not an old one. A modern one. It has USB, WIFI, etc. I am working on it right now.

Not sure why you need to go from the board but...
http://www.gridconnect.com/ltrx.html

By why not use exisitng serial port?
http://www.gridconnect.com/net232-dte.html
or
http://www.gridconnect.com/wi232.html with Wi-Fi

The Internet connection is optional. We need a connection from the computer to the controller. It could be RS232 because most computers have RS232 ports or you can get a USB RS232 device. It could be an Ethernet connection if one used the microcontroller that I showed.

If one needed a wireless Ethernet connection to the brewstand, one could buy a regular wireless router and plug the controller with Ethernet into it. Most wireless routers can be meshed together to form a wider network. Wireless routers are pretty inexpensive these days. $50. That isn't a bad idea, actually.

The only problem is that one might get distracted surfing beer porn while brewing ! Add a few USB cameras and one could have brew cam going with live brew data. Hmmm... I'm just thinking off the top of my head here... some of this is going beyond the bounds of traditional brewing. Is that a bad thing ?

Beautiful modelling fifelee. What app are you using ?

I generally like the layout, especially how the 2 cubes sit. I love that.

More comments later.

I'd be concerned with how you are going to lock that tipping mash tun though. That sucker will be heavy.

Hold it in the tipped position or hold it in the brew position ?

There are a number of ways to do that. One could make the pivot from a shaft and have it rotate inside a sleeve and then put a pin through both of them. Did I mention I have a CNC lathe and a mill ?

I was thinking of putting a long retractable pull arm on the pivot too, so that dumping and holding the mash vessel is easy.

I don't like the bottom level being filled in. Any drips there make a mess. I would rather they drip onto the floor. Just a preference thing. The wheels look like lawn mower wheels. Give me a bad vibe. Maybe I'm insecure.

There should be an arm going up to the top of the mash vessel, maybe a hard pipe so that there is a feed to the sparge manifold and so the hose isn't just hanging down.

I wanted the heat shield to be a straight way so that one could hang hoses and stirring spoons and things like that. I never seem to have a place to put that stuff. Maybe a nice SS drip tray under them ?

And we need a place to put the lid for the kettle when its off ! Mine always ends up on the floor. Nothing like a little dirt in one's brew.

The drain and valve for the mash vessel will come straight off the bottom. I want the stock drain valve to take wort samples as I am mashing and also for easy draining after its washed out.

I should tell you guys what I do with the hot water from my CFC ! I push it into the HLT and Mash Vessel and use it for cleaning. And when I am done with it then, I water my lawn or garden.

I really like how this is coming together. Any more suggestions ? Its all in the details. I want to hear more ideas if you have them.

fifelee: could you generate it with a few color changes ? Make the frame all black. Open up the bottom. Make the green straps holding the mash vessel really silver like SS would be. Make the heat shield SS too. And make the brewpot lighter. Make the center of the wheels black. Thanks

I wonder if the cubes need to sit on a flat surface that totally covers the underside of them ? Maybe they will warp if they don't ? (Stressed inner and outer plastic skins ?)

Back