Nylon Bag Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I used a nylon bag for hopping my Pete's Wicked Ale clone yesterday. After I was finished, I emptied it and sprayed it with the kitchen sink sprayer using the hottest water I could run. That got most of the hops residue out, but the bag was still a bit sticky. So I soaked it in hot water for a while and the water eventually gained a green tint. I drained, sprayed, rinsed again. The bag isn't sticky, now, but how do I know it's really clean? This may sound silly, but how do you nylon bag users clean them between brews? I don't think laundry detergent is a good idea, but maybe. Advise, please!

After I rinse mine out in the sink, I run my nylon bags through the clothes washer and dryer. They come out clean and oh so soft and sexy against my skin.

Wait. Ignore that last part. I don't use fabric softener in my dryer, so I don't worry about nasty polymers showing up in my brews.

eviltwinofjoni said:
After I rinse mine out in the sink, I run my nylon bags through the clothes washer and dryer. They come out clean and oh so soft and sexy against my skin.

Wait. Ignore that last part. I don't use fabric softener in my dryer, so I don't worry about nasty polymers showing up in my brews.

Just a little too much info, Eviltwin... :D
OK, so I may toss it in the washer next time, but air dry it (since we always use those dryer sheets). Thanks!

I run my nylon grain/hop bags (and the big nylon bags I use for fruit wines) through the dishwasher after rinsing them. I don't use Jetdry or anything like that. Then, I take them out and hang them from the kitchen cabinet's handles until dry. Not too classy, but effective.

Lorena

lorenae said:
I run my nylon grain/hop bags (and the big nylon bags I use for fruit wines) through the dishwasher after rinsing them. I don't use Jetdry or anything like that. Then, I take them out and hang them from the kitchen cabinet's handles until dry. Not too classy, but effective.

Lorena

Hey now, that's a good suggestion! And it's plenty classy enough for me. Thanks!

If it is the hops bag you're putting in the boil just wash with hot water and PBW if you have it. It is going to get boiled anyway so sanitizing or ultra-clean isn't really needed.

dantodd said:
If it is the hops bag you're putting in the boil just wash with hot water and PBW if you have it. It is going to get boiled anyway so sanitizing or ultra-clean isn't really needed.

Good point! But I don't want it to be sticky or attract critters between uses. We have critters, here in Louisiana. :eek:

Latest posts

Back