Head retention and lacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

Reaction score
I've noticed about about ten batches of beer that I am capable of producing beers with amazing lacing, but very little head retention (half a centimeter of head is a liberal estimate). Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? Know of any way to solve the problem?

Usually, it's just a matter of correct ingredients. Some flaked barley, flaked wheat, carapis, etc, all can be used to aid in head retention. Caramel/crystal malts also help.

Another consideration is having bar-clean glassware. Having some soap residue, or rinse agents in the dishwasher, on the glass will kill any head on the beer.

Can you post a typical recipe, so we can see what is already in there and give some pointers on adjusting it?

Yes and no. I have made extract recipes so far, and made my jump to partial mash in 5 gallon batches and all grain in 2 gallons recently as well, but haven't cracked one open because they are all still green.
Perhaps it's just an extract thing. If it is, please let me know. If not, I'll definitely post a recipe or two.

Flaked wheat and barley make sense, now that I think about it. Since they're unmalted, does it have anything to do with the gluten protein that they carry?

Back