Wow, a whole gallon lost to trub!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Well, as you get more and more brews under your belt you learn different tricks and things along the way. This time I learned that while its a pain in the ass to strain your hops, its may be in your best interests to do such - or just plan to lose at least a gallon to trub. I racked my Pale Ale to the keg today and realized that at least a gallon of the batch was trub. For this batch I didnt bother with a hop bag or any nonsense like that, and I just dumped the entire batch of wort into the primary. Fermentation was rather mellow and I finally racked it after a month.

I just lost the herb ball to the bottom of the keg as well in my attempt to dry hop. Im really starting to think that the pellet hops are going to really leak through that damn herb ball too. Good thing about kegs though - they usually dump the settled junk on the first pour or so.
Wheeeeeeeeeeee
-Me

Yeah I used gelatin for the first time in the secondary on my last two batches. Only got 40 bottles. What a gip. Never doing that again. Rather have cloudy then less beer.

All my recipes end with 6g in the brew pot. I rack 5g of crystal clear wort to my fermentor and leave a gallon of trub filled wort behind. I spent years trying to maximize the amount of beer coming out at the end. Now I worry more about having really good beer at the end, if it is a few bottles short of 50 or less then a full keg so what, I just brew more. :)

GT

Back