Coating for mash spoon??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokysalsa

Reaction score
I seen a while ago there was a thread on a coating for some ones mash spoon, i cant find my answer, i made a mash spoon out of oak i think it turned out really good. well i like it! but when i get it wet. there are a lot of wood grain that lift up on it. was wondering if there was something i could coat it with? to keep that from accruing.

I use a high heat plastic spoon, Dont know what you could coat yours with. I would invest in a metal or plastic one. maybe someone else will know the answer to your question

DO NOT COAT IT! Varnish and urethane and others are not food safe. To smooth your paddle you will need to sand multiple times.

1. Sand paddle smooth.
2. Damped paddle with water to raise grain.
3. Sand again.
4. Repeat until grain no longer raises when damp (usually 3-4 times).

What kind of oak did you use? If white oak, you are good to go. If red oak, you may want to soak it over night is some water to leak out as many tannins as you can. Red oak doesn't taste very nice.

The subsequent sandings are just to remove the raised grain. Do not sand down to a new level of wood, else you will expose new grain and have to continue the process forever ;) Just run over them with a fine grit to take of the raised grain.

a lot of companies that sell wood paddles (for brewing beer), use block oil to coat the wood and cure them.

Should have consulted here before you made it from a wide grain wood like that, but what's done is done. Listen to Kabooty, and find some very high-grit sandpaper, 600 grit or higher.

Latest posts

Back