Pellet Grills To Replace Gas Grills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, very interesting.

I get a lot of flavor from the hardwood chunk that I burn. I wonder what the pellets do for flavor.

What are those pellets made from?

The pellets are made from 100% hardwood, they impart the same flavor as a smoker would if you cook low and slow and less smoke on higher heat. The pellet grill I use will go from 170 to 900 degrees so I can smoke bbq with it or crank it all the way up and do wood fired pizza and anything in between, and it does a great job.

The pellets are made from 100% hardwood, they impart the same flavor as a smoker would if you cook low and slow and less smoke on higher heat. The pellet grill I use will go from 170 to 900 degrees so I can smoke bbq with it or crank it all the way up and do wood fired pizza and anything in between, and it does a great job.

Very interesting. I'll look for them at my grill store next time I'm there.

What kind do you have? I was looking at a Memphis at a local BBQ store, Really nice grill but the 2K price tag made it not look so nice. Of course it was automated, had a temp probe for the meat so it could cut the temp down when meat got done, and a fan to recirculate the heat/smoke.

Pellet grills are nice, but I don't see them replacing propane for the average user. Propane tanks are easy to store and there is nothing to clean up. Pellets while less than charcoal still have those issues.

What kind do you have? I was looking at a Memphis at a local BBQ store, Really nice grill but the 2K price tag made it not look so nice. Of course it was automated, had a temp probe for the meat so it could cut the temp down when meat got done, and a fan to recirculate the heat/smoke.

Pellet grills are nice, but I don't see them replacing propane for the average user. Propane tanks are easy to store and there is nothing to clean up. Pellets while less than charcoal still have those issues.

I think pellets likely will continue to cut into the market for enthusiast but not for the average consumer. Most of my friends who have bbq's do so just to cook up burgers & dogs and maybe a steak here and there.. They have a $100 weber, or a $300 gasser. They don't care about smoking, or comp bbq or doing pizzas etc and they certainly don't want to have to think about pellets or hardwood or lump. They want to hook up the propane tank, or pile up some briquettes, soak em in lighter fluid and be on their way.

I looked at some pellets, and priced out the Yoders before buying my BGE.. the BGE was already a healthy chunk of change and the Yoders were at least 20% more.

I think pellets likely will continue to cut into the market for enthusiast but not for the average consumer. Most of my friends who have bbq's do so just to cook up burgers & dogs and maybe a steak here and there.. They have a $100 weber, or a $300 gasser. They don't care about smoking, or comp bbq or doing pizzas etc and they certainly don't want to have to think about pellets or hardwood or lump. They want to hook up the propane tank, or pile up some briquettes, soak em in lighter fluid and be on their way.

Propane tanks is too much hassle for me, I put mine on NG and hook it to the house. No way I would deal with pellets.

When I use my smoker I get Lump hardwood, or use some maple/hickory from the woods nearby.

I have the FEPG500, it kicks serious butt and I would recommend it highly to anyone. Mine was right around 1500 shipped to my door, the Memphis grills are very well respected also.

I think you can get into a GMG for around 600 bucks now, Lowes and the big box stores are also selling char-grill pellet variants and the like now cheeper as well. About the only cleanup involved is vacuuming ash out of the fire pot.

Certainly not for everyone but, and this was kind of the point, pellet grills are becoming far more common and the prices are coming down too as more players get involved. Pellet ("cooking" pellet) prices will be falling dramatically in the near future as well I'd predict. You can already get 100% oak "heating" pellets for about 10 cents a pound, compared to a buck a pound for so called "cooking" pellets.

I bought a GMG pellet grill about a year ago and we used it very heavy. I started to add up the cost of pellets and was amazed. WAY more than propane. But, the taste vs the gasser is sooooo good. We than purchased a Primo ceramic grill and have not used the pellet since. I will use the pellet in the summer since the pellet use is not so bad when its hot. Cold weather nothing beats the Primo. Smoke flavor wise the lump burner does impart much more. If I could only have 1 it would be the Primo. Pellet vs gasser...I would choose the pellet.

If I had the money for it, I'd love to get a Louisiana grill and/or a Big green egg.

I've heard very few complaints about either one.

You can already get 100% oak "heating" pellets for about 10 cents a pound, compared to a buck a pound for so called "cooking" pellets.

There's a big difference between pellets made for heating and for cooking, and that will always drive a price differential.

I have large BGE with a BBQ guru and a Traeger BBQ070 with digital control. I use them both regularly and they both have their strengths. The Traeger is user friendly and SWMBO can grill gnarly chicken on it. The egg brings me more joy to cook on; something about the live charcoal and fire. Can't see living without either.

back on topic, pellet grills >>> gas. this is a no brainer. i've owned several gas grills and after I bought my traeger, i realized there was no going back.

There's a big difference between pellets made for heating and for cooking, and that will always drive a price differential.

I have to wonder if the "heating" pellets are really different or if the only difference is the packaging.

Then again, I haven't heard of too many people smoking with oak. I have heard of using hardwoods just for heat in fireboxes though.

DougK said:
I have to wonder if the "heating" pellets are really different or if the only difference is the packaging.

Then again, I haven't heard of too many people smoking with oak. I have heard of using hardwoods just for heat in fireboxes though.

There's a lot of debate about that actually, and many pellet mfgrs make both. Luckily for me, I have been able to find quality 100% oak "heating" pellets locally for 10 pennies a pound or so. Otherwise, if you're buying "cooking" pellets you will be shelling out ten times that.

Oak's great to smoke with btw, especially for beef and chicken.

Ok, here is a question for people familiar with pellets.

My smoker has an upright chimney style cold smoker attachment that is meant to be filled with wood chips. The square tube is about 1.5 inches across and the mesh at the bottom is about half a centimeter. The mesh sits on top of the heading element.

Do you think pellets would work in this Smoker?

my wife and I bought a Traeger Lil Tex Elite a couple weeks back. More days than not it gets used for something so far. Never thought I'd say this, but I think at this point I'm ready to get rid of the Weber which has been a great gas grill for the nearly 10 years we've owned it.

I've had a Traeger for about 4 years now and they are excellent. But if you want the best....get the Mak Grill

I'd donate a testicle for a digi pellet grill and my other for a HERMs...atleast I know I'd get more use outta 'em :D

I've had a Traeger for about 4 years now and they are excellent. But if you want the best....get the Mak Grill

I'm liking the smoke chamber option.

I'm pretty sure my next grill will be a pellet grill.

I've got a Yoder YS640 pelet grill, had it for a little over a year now. I love it! I will NEVER go back to charcoal. I spend much less on pellets than I did charcoal, don't waste any fuel and the food taste great!

when traeger was american made they were a good grill (they were bought out and made over seas now ) i sold traeger for over 15 years and dont sell them anymore , thinking about green mountain pellet grills , they are awesome, and there are a big difference in heating pellets and food grade pellets (heating pellets can have treated wood , soft woods , particle board any wood by product , so unless the pellet mill is generating there own saw dust you dont know what is in there ) so dont take a chance its not worth getting sick or dieing over,and yes i have been in the wood pellet heating field for over 25 yrs so i do know what im talking about

Bumpimg this to see if anyone new might want to join. Think I have decided that my next grill/smoker will be a pellet burner. Really wanting one that cam do both well. Dreaming about a memphis or mak, also looking at fast eddies. Being able to cold smoke would be a nice plus with the FE, but the contollers on the mak and memphis look a little better. Been reading all the reviews on pelletheads but would welcome input from anyone on here with experience with any pellet cooker that you like. One selling point to SWMBO is that I will be able to get one unit to replace my gas grill and smoker

There is a 2012 Memphis select in town for $900 (new floor model). You guys think its worth it? Was considering selling my traeger lil' tex

There is a 2012 Memphis select in town for $900 (new floor model). You guys think its worth it? Was considering selling my traeger lil' tex

I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat. From what I have read the advantage is a big step up, but your not going to get anything close to the memphis controller and the doubled wall construction for that price

picked up a mak 1 star back in may, so far its been the bomb digity. the controller is easy to use and accurate, plus the available accessories are nice. perfect size for me also. didnt realize how hot the fast eddies grill got, that sure would be nice for the pizzas.

bradtate said:
when traeger was american made they were a good grill (they were bought out and made over seas now ) i sold traeger for over 15 years and dont sell them anymore , thinking about green mountain pellet grills , they are awesome, and there are a big difference in heating pellets and food grade pellets (heating pellets can have treated wood , soft woods , particle board any wood by product , so unless the pellet mill is generating there own saw dust you dont know what is in there ) so dont take a chance its not worth getting sick or dieing over,and yes i have been in the wood pellet heating field for over 25 yrs so i do know what im talking about

Some traegers are still made here

Took this pic last month right down the road from where I live.

image-3955528976.jpg

One thing I will say about Traeger, their customer care is unparalleled. They are open 7 days a week and don't give you any BS if you need a part. They just put it in the mail for free. Traegers are also very easy to work on and I'm not what you'd call "mechanically inclined".

I'll be sure to tell my client that the grill they just made was really made in China...lol

"Made"...or "assembled"? Putting parts together or painting the finished product isn't "making".
Before I purchased my grill, I did extensive research on pellet pits. I called several companies and asked questions...including Traeger. The replies I got from both Traeger and Green Mountain, "All of our grills and parts are manufactured in China."

Now, for the record...I am not saying anything negative about Trager. I bought one of their smallest pits for my dad about a year ago. It is performing nicely.

Why would a metal fabricating company simply assemble a bbq. Anyway... moving on. They are a nice grill. I've had one for about six years now. It was made in that factory. I saw them making them!!! I swear!!! I just want you to think I know everything about Traeger!!! lol

Why would a metal fabricating company simply assemble a bbq. Anyway... moving on. They are a nice grill. I've had one for about six years now. It was made in that factory. I saw them making them!!! I swear!!! I just want you to think I know everything about Traeger!!! lol

Because now they are a grill company.

Not sure if it is 100%, but they have outsourced the fabrication of their grills to china. 6 years ago they were all US made, but if you buy one of their stock models now, it was made in China

They are nice grills, we got ours at cost because we had the inside deal. But if I were to spend over $500 on a new smoker I think I'd go with the Mak.

They are nice grills, we got ours at cost because we had the inside deal. But if I were to spend over $500 on a new smoker I think I'd go with the Mak.

You mean if you were to spend over 2000 :) that is the problem I am having now, I know I'm going to be in the 1500+ range to get the type of controller, size, inuslation that I want. Then I think it isnt that much more for a mak or memphis. Then I realize I'm talking about 2000 for a grill

You mean if you were to spend over 2000 :) that is the problem I am having now, I know I'm going to be in the 1500+ range to get the type of controller, size, inuslation that I want. Then I think it isnt that much more for a mak or memphis. Then I realize I'm talking about 2000 for a grill
Yep, The total package for my Yoder 640 was $1800...but that's with shipping too. That price also includes custom made stainless steel grill grates though.

As I stated before, bout a year ago a bought the small Traeger grill and an Ortech digital control on Ebay for a total price of $400...including shipping. It was a gift for my dad. I have to tell you, that little grill is really impressing me! The food coming off of it tastes just as good as the food coming off my Yoder. Of course, he is using the same pellets that I do.
I think a lot has to do with the pellets you use. I use Lumberjack 100% flavor wood...100% hickory, 100% cherry, 100% apple and 100% maple.
So basically, I am using the same wood for smoking that I do for cooking.

They really are decent little units. I jumped right in on a Yoder 640...one hell of an investment for a grill. $400 for a Traeger from Ebay isn't a bad price with the Ortech controller. They won't last as long, but it someone want's to get their feet wet, that's a good way to go.

Nope, they are made in China. The customize job you see is done in several places here in the states. But the grills and their working components are made in China.

I'll be sure to tell my client that the grill they just made was really made in China...lol

to be fair, you could both be right.

The smoke generator/electronics could have been made overseas.

When you say won't last as long, can you add anything that is quantifiable to that statement?
Sure. My Yoder for example is constructed of 10 gauge steel...which is just a tad thicker than 1/8". So, naturally it won't rust out as quickly. Same with Fast Eddie's and Maks...all thicker.
If you want a better understanding of pellet pit performance, troubles, testing and opinions....I suggest visiting one or both of these sites.

Smoked-meat.com http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/index.php
Quite a few Yoder owners in here. A few Mak owners too. Great site!:rockin: The owner and mediators are really cool people. You can speak your mind, ask questions and get HONEST answers.

Pelletheads.com http://pelletheads.com/ "Mostly" green mountain grill owners in this forum, as the owner and the head moderator deal in green mountain. Personally, I don't hang out there as I find the moderator to be a real ****** bag. But, there are also Mak owners and Fast Eddie owners there too. Just be really careful of what you ask or post, as the moderator DOES NOT like anybody talking or suggesting poorly about green mountain. If you do, he and all of the other posters that want to suck his teet will dog pile on you!

Back