Not making my FG numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
I am starting to see a recurring theme with my brews and I'm looking for suggestions to correct it. In almost every case, I hit my pre and post boil OG's on the nose. However, the last 3 batches I have brewed did not get below 1.020 for FG. In fact, I think all 3 were exactly 1.020 and didn't move any lower. The estimated FGs should have been anywhere between 1.013 and 1.017.

What can I do to improve my FG for future batches? The one thing I came up with was fermentation temp. Is this a big factor for hitting FG? My basement is just now getting down to about 70* F. I have also just started using swamp baths to get my fermenter temps down to ~65* F (only done with the last batch which I haven't measured FG yet).

TIA for the help!

John

What is your mash temperature? Generally the higher the temp the less fermentable the wort will be. If you mash a little lower you may be able to get the FG down to where you want it

What is your mash temperature? Generally the higher the temp the less fermentable the wort will be. If you mash a little lower you may be able to get the FG down to where you want it

It's funny you should mention that! I didn't know until the other night that my thermometer could be calibrated (using the nut on the bottom of the dial). I did an ice and a boil test. In both cases, the thermo was 3* higher than expected.

Maybe that is what is happening here. I have been mashing at 155 instead of 152* (as an example). I have a brew day planned for tomorrow and this will be the first one since calibrating my thermo. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if it helped.

Thanks for that info Krelja!

Any more suggesitons/thoughts?

John

It should help. The more I see these things come up the better spending the money on a thermapen. Good luck with the next one home it works out

Patience = Leave it in the fermentor 2 weeks longer roust it every couple of days. I know it's hard but it what will finish off the last 10 points.

Not a shake, swirl gently. I had to do this with my tripel to get the gravity down to where I wanted it. It doesn't take a whole lot to get some of that yeast that has fallen back up into suspension.

You need to consider, yeast, starters, pitching quantity, fermentation temps... you get the thread I'm on.

Back