8g kettle large enough for a full-boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgesp1

Reaction score
So, I was wondering if my 8g kettle is big enough to do a full boil without too much worry about uncontrollable boil overs?

Thanks guys.

I do full 5 gallon boils in my 8 gallon pot but I have to watch it like a hawk because it will boil over just as easy as my small pots. Heck I bet it would boil over even in a 15 gal keggle.

I use a 30 gallon pot, and I boil about 6.25 gallons down to 5.25. I watch it very closely until the hot break, but then it's fine.

That thing must take up the entire stove top!

To the OP, 8g should be plenty large enough for 5g batches without too much concern about boil overs.

That thing must take up the entire stove top!

To the OP, 8g should be plenty large enough for 5g batches without too much concern about boil overs.

Well, I use the 30 quart turkey fryer pot on my stove. It just covers one burner. I do wish it was a little taller, but if it was, I'd never get my chiller in there under the microwaver!

Here's my fancy Yooper Tier Sculpture:
4189-DSCF0085-1.JPG

That's just a smaller pot (5 gallons) with my sparge water, my brewpot and my MLT. I have an island just to the right of the MLT and set out the hops, the grain, the 5.2 buffer, the mash paddle, etc. on it.

The point is, even though a 10 gallon pot would be awesome, it is possible to use a pot as small as 7.5 gallons and brew decent beer.

What we have here is, failure to communicate. :D

I wanted to see pictures of you doing a 5g batch on your stovetop in a 30 gallon pot! :rockin:

Oh, DUH! That would be my 30 gallon bathtub. That's for the sourmash! :D

I'm cute, but not very bright.

To the OP, sorry for the threadjack, but I really am laughing at my own stupidity. :fro:

I use a 30qt pot for 5 gal AG boils. Full boils are possible but it is close and very easy to boil over. Fermcap anti-foaming agent is very helpful in preventing big messes.
You will probably need to get a different burner like those designed for turkey fryers and seafood boils. Most kitchen stoves do not have sufficient output to boil 5+ gal.

Craig

Latest posts

Back