best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PANTERA IS METAL!!!!! THRASH IS METAL!!!!!!! GROOVE METAL IS METAL!!!!!

It is all relative, they are just sub-genres that some stupid journalist came up with to identify a group of music. IT'S ALL METAL

Yes, but thrash, speed, heavy and power metal all have distinct differences.

Again, it doesn't mean they are any less awesome, it just means they are different.

Now, if you'll excuse me, some emo bull**** is playing on pandora and I'm going to change it.

well tell me how pantera is not thrash?

Well to start with - they only had one guitar player. A thrash band can be a four piece, but a thrash band always has two guitars. ALWAYS.

Rhythmically their music was not remotely thrash, as Pantera's music was riff based with an emphasis on groove while thrash emphasizes jarring syncopation with figures of different meter played against each other at a very fast tempo.

Pantera was not remotely fast enough to be considered thrash, the subject matter they wrote about was wrong for thrash.

Before someone came up with "Groove Metal" label, Pantera was a metal band or a heavy metal band, and they started their career as a Hair/Glam band which brings up another minor point about thrash bands - they don't wear makeup and earrings or use hair spray.

Top 3 all time:

Motorhead :rockin:
AC/DC
Iron Maiden.....

Now lets break it down some more:

Thrash/Speed metal = SOD
Death Metal = Death
New York under ground = Pro-Pain
Fun Local metal = Toxic Field Mice

Oh come on people, Amon Amarth obviously. I saw them a week ago and the vocalist was talking about how much he loves Old Rasputin. Not to mention he drinks his beer out of a giant animal horn!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xz8kYpc4B0]YouTube - Lamb of God - In Your Words (Wrath) (Lyrics)[/ame]

LAMB OF GOD MOTHER ****ERS!

Come on people... it took 88 posts to get Opeth in here????! 162 for BTBAM?!!

All time favorites for me are Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, In Flames, Soilwork, and Mastodon. If I'm in the mood for something classic, it's Deep Purple.

Went to the Knot 3 inches of blood and devildriver concert on sunday, It was pretty bad ass Devil Driver showed up slipknot and the other singer for 3 inches wasnt there so it was kinda depressing but they still rocked.

Black Sabbath

+ 1000!! :mug:

They had the original spirit and werent as closed minded as most metal bands of today who just try to impress like that damn "Hear how heavy we sound, hear how fast we can shred, see how badass we do look", "check how Demonic or downright hopelessly Depressing down to Earth " our Lyrics are attitude".

Metal (and Rock) is an emotional vibe, and to me Black Sabbath will always remain the best metal band there is, closely followed by Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

Then... it all went downhill for me after them.....
I hear some System of a Down and i want to throw up in a very bad way... :(

By the way dude... have you checked out "Heaven and Hell" with Dio?
Looks like great stuff to me. :mug:

Old School rules, today's music is all about impressing and trying to look tuff heavy and fast... i love music with soul, ambiance and some imagination doesnt hurt.

Check them out - its brutal as ****.

Ok i get it....
Guess i got it all wrong... If a good metal band is all about being Brutal then I have to admit i dont know Shiat about Metal.

Black Sabbath weren't Brutal at all, they just played Damn good Heavy rock music thats all, meaningful heavy music that just stuck in your head for days after you last heard it.

Guess i'll start a thread about Rock music, cause metal definitely isnt something that i can really relate to.

Thanks for the lesson! :)

Devil Driver showed up slipknot

I believe it. Devildriver don't get near enough recognition. They are excellent musicians and play damn good metal. I wouldn't call them the best band ever, but out of the ones popping up in the past ten years, they are up there! Their most recent album is one of the few albums that doesn't get deleted off the ipod. It never gets old. The most recent Machinehead is a staple on the ipod too.

After reading this thread, it depends on the time that you grew up.

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Cream, and Deep Purple are the roots of metal.

Then you have:
New Wave of British Heavy Metal with bands like Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Venom, and Def Leppard (yes they can be considered metal)

Then the influencies of NWOBHM:
Metallica, Megadeth, Motley Crue, and Guns 'n Roses

From there different Genres started to arise
Thrash Metal - Slayer, Pantera, Sepultura, Anthrax
Doom Metal - Type O Negative, Sons of Otis
Death Metal - Children of Bodom, Morbid Angel, In Flames
Power Metal - Dragonforce, Iced Earth, Meshuggah, Dream Theatre

All of the above influenced
Metal Core - Killswitch Engage, Soilwork, As I Lay Dying, Shadows Fall
Emo - I don't listen to this music but Bullet for my Valentine is a good example
Pop Metal - Avenged Sevenfold

I am a bit drunk and just looking though itunes, so please correct me if I am wrong on any of my rant!!

METAL RULES!!!!!! LOVE LIVE DOUBLE BASS, SQUEELS, CLIFF BURTON and RANDY RHODES!

Okay, I was really buzzed and placing bands in what i thought influenced them. Just screw it and BANG YOUR HEAD.

I don't see where I fit in here, and I don't see why Megadeth is in NWOBHM and Pantera is in thrash...

OK, I fit in a little bit, but you still got it wrong :p

yeah really its bad enough that someone called Pantera thrash again, but did you really have to call Children of Boredom "death metal" ? come on - thats uncalled for, those kweers wear eye liner for crying out loud -- thats not death metal -- it should be called "AIDS metal"

is deftones,system of a down and tool considered metal in any way shape or form??? if so i vote them to but i think they are just rock not metal

haha, well COB is "melodic death metal" although there last two albums have been terrible. Its not that far of a stretch of the imagination to say that pantera is thrash. They are quite thrashy. But i understand the "Heavy Metal" categorization as well. But its all about immortal, gorgoroth, dark fortress, emperor, arcturus, and the rest of the black metal awesomeness.

BTW, for all you guys in cali, opeth + paganfest this weekend!!!! **** yes!

Oh and all you black metal lovers, a buddy and i wrote a black metal song called "Satan Divine" Its not too shabby for two 21 year old guys with virtually no recording equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not that far of a stretch of the imagination to say that pantera is thrash.

Pantera is not even remotely thrash.

Just because Pantera is heavy at times does not make their music thrash.

None of it is thrash. NONE OF IT.

is deftones,system of a down and tool considered metal in any way shape or form??? if so i vote them to but i think they are just rock not metal

yes those bands are metal, though your point about them being rock is understood

metal is a flavor of rock music after all

Back