Ignore the Instructions,. Do not bottle after 5-10 days!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, noob here.

I see a lot of talk here about ignoring instructions, and letting the beer age in the primary much longer than suggested. I just moved my first brew to the secondary after 1 week. I didn't take a hydrometer reading, so I have no idea what's going on there. (I have a hydrometer on the way though.)

My question is, should I allow for more than the instructed 1-2 weeks in the secondary to make up for this, or is it now too late? Should I go ahead and bottle and see what happens?

That would depend if you are dry-hopping in the secondary. If you've reached FG then you'll want to bottle after the dry-hops have been in secondary for the time called for by the recipe. If no dry hopping is involved then you can bottle as soon as you're confident that you've reached FG. Extra time will allow for the yeasties to 'clean up', but as some others have suggested, it's not necessary.

Leaving dryhops in longer than called for can leave a 'grassy' taste to the beer (so I've heard...).

I now usually leave for 3 weeks and the bottle.

My last one I left for 5 and I picked up my first infection :(

Beer isn't ruined, just tastes a bit weird. I lost about a gallon and a just to be safe though.

9. At this point, take a Hydrometer reading of the Specific Gravity by pouring a sample of the wort into the hydrometer jar and float the hydrometer in the sample. Take the reading where the level of your wort intersects on the specific gravity scale of the hydrometer. Write this reading down in your brewing notes. Do NOT return the sample of wort to
the fermenter.

I've only been reading here for a few days, but haven't found a reason for this tip. Is this to prevent aeration? If there's more to it, then what?

I think I answered my own question, but. I completed my very first brew using the kit I purchased (carboy, secondary bucket, siphoning, all the needed stuff, etc.). The instructions on the recipe for the bottling portion says the beer can be consumed immediately, however letting it sit bottled for an additional 14 - 21 days will allow the beer to finish. I placed two bottles in the fridge after bottling and after 5 days, opened one to taste. It was flat as a pancake. Is this because it still needs time to finish for it to be carbonated? The other 46 bottles are in a box with little to no light in the room.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another.

Thank you.

I think I answered my own question, but. I completed my very first brew using the kit I purchased (carboy, secondary bucket, siphoning, all the needed stuff, etc.). The instructions on the recipe for the bottling portion says the beer can be consumed immediately, however letting it sit bottled for an additional 14 - 21 days will allow the beer to finish. I placed two bottles in the fridge after bottling and after 5 days, opened one to taste. It was flat as a pancake. Is this because it still needs time to finish for it to be carbonated? The other 46 bottles are in a box with little to no light in the room.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another.

Thank you.

Don't refrigerate them until they are carbed. The cold temps put the yeast in a dormant state. That's why you had no carbonation on those.

Back