City Brewery - LaCrosse, WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
The girlfriend and I have booked a cabin outside of LaCrosse, Wisconsin for a weekend getaway at the end of February. I recalled the old G. Heileman brewery used to be there and, in researching the trip, found that it had been bought and renamed City Brewery. They give tours of the place so, obviously, we'll take the tour and likely try some brews!

Anyone familiar with the new brewery and/or their beers? Just curious!

Rhoobarb.....

Yecchh. I've had all of them. I'm very familiar with LaCrosse because I have family there. In fact I own some land near Trempeleau (where I hope to retire some day).

To me, it is a miracle that City Brewery is surviving. The beer isn't very good. They do a ton of contracting so I imagine that is how they stay a float.

It is worth it to go, just to see the giant six-pack though!!!

Sorry to rain on the parade.....:p

Side note: Do a google for "melchoir brewery" sometime. That is where my land is. I figure I an bring back some history someday and bring the art of brewing fine beer back there again someday.:D

ORRELSE said:
Rhoobarb.....

Yecchh. I've had all of them. ... Sorry to rain on the parade... Side note: Do a google for "melchoir brewery" sometime.

No problem; I plan to tour the brewery and get some free samples. I have read some decent reviews on their porter. I guess I'll just have to try the free samples and see for myself!;) And I'll definitely stock up on some New Glarus! Used to be able to get it in Illinois, then the brewers decided to alter their distribution and now, we can't!:mad: Plus, the BNSF line rolls through there by the Mississsloppy River, so I'll get some good train photos!

I searched in Google for melchoir brewery - very cool! I hope that works out for you!

On your way up to LaCrosse you should swing through New Glarus. You could then stock up on the good stuff. Actually you'll probabbly be able to find it at almost any supermarket/liquor store in Wisconsin. Have a good trip. ;)

ORRELSE said:
Rhoobarb.....

Yecchh. I've had all of them. I'm very familiar with LaCrosse because I have family there. In fact I own some land near Trempeleau (where I hope to retire some day).

To me, it is a miracle that City Brewery is surviving. The beer isn't very good. They do a ton of contracting so I imagine that is how they stay a float.

It is worth it to go, just to see the giant six-pack though!!!

Sorry to rain on the parade.....:p

Side note: Do a google for "melchoir brewery" sometime. That is where my land is. I figure I an bring back some history someday and bring the art of brewing fine beer back there again someday.:D

looks nice orrelse! possible Garden of Eden hu? who'd a thunk it :D

New Glarus is an interesting place to visit, but I've never been there in the winter. Don't know if there is anything to do there. The restaurants here (Waukesha) all seem to have New Glarus on tap. Right now, Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel, mostly. It's pretty good stuff.

Peter Bub said:
Here's a web page concerning the Melchoir brewery:

http://www.winonapostcards.com/beer/melchoir/index.html

Yeah, isn't that neat? It isn't too far from downtown (if you can call it that) Trempeleau. Beautiful little city, right along the Mississippi.

I would love to build along there someday. A brewery, AND a house!!!!

I think it would be awesome to build right near the Melchoir ruins. Imagine using the same beer caves?

get some sprecher while youe up there also. the black bavarian lager is the best shwarzbier i've had--ever. all thier beers are very good, and although my experience with new glarus and sprecher is limiteed to when a friend from milwuakee brings them back here, i give my vote to sprecher, although thats probably out of the ordinary.

drengel said:
get some sprecher while youe up there also. the black bavarian lager is the best shwarzbier i've had--ever. all thier beers are very good, and although my experience with new glarus and sprecher is limiteed to when a friend from milwuakee brings them back here, i give my vote to sprecher, although thats probably out of the ordinary.

I give my vote to sprecher also. It is just not know out side of the milwaukee area except for there sodas. I just got some of the the city brewery's pale ale and it is pretty good. It is certanly not a IPA but is definatly a pale ale.

Back