Opinion on Beer Recipe - Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmdoogs

Reaction score
I sent a strand earlier about a recipe that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. After very helpful feedback, it was suggested that I might post a recipe to see what people think BEFORE I brew. I hope this is the right place.

Amber Ale (Irish Ale Wyeast 1084)
3 gallon partial brew (5 gal total)
2 # DME light
3.3 # light LME at flameout
.5 # DM 60L
.25 # 120L Dark Crystal Malt
2 oz. Roasted Barley

Centennial .5 oz (9.5AA%) at 60 min
Centennial .5 oz at 15 min
Willamette .5 oz (5.1) at 5 min
Willamette .5 oz at flame out

Does this sound like a recipe worth brewing?

Thanks in advance.

May also be DME 60L, but either way, it should work. I'd shut the flame off at 15 minutes and stir in the LME. Then flame on, bring it back to a boil and finish it.

DM should be Crystal Malt at 60L

I cut down on the different grain additions because of a previous post I had and now I'm confused.

I posted a question about a recipe earlier that came out too sweet (1# Crystal Malt 60 and 1# Crystal Malt 75 in a 5 gallon recipe) Most people responded that 2 lbs of Crystal Malt is too much for a 5 gallon recipe.

I literally took an Amber Ale recipe right out of Palmer's How to Brew and changed a bit of the hop schedule. It called for 6.6# of pale LME and 2 #s of 60 Crystal malt.

What am I not quite understanding here?

Your previous beer that was too sweet, What was the hops schedule for it? IF it wasn't balanced correctly, then it could come out a bit too sweet.

Plus, the Crystal really wouldn't add too much "sweetness" to the beer. It should just add color and flavor, not sweetness, since your only steeping the grains.

The big issue concerning your last beer could be your final gravity. If you didin't let the beer finish fermenting, then you beer could have been too sweet.

As for this beer, here's the specs on the recipe above. IMHO, I would up the total extract to 6.6 lbs. of LME or 6 lbs. of DME, your choice. The rest is fine. You're gonna have a pretty decent amber. I'd be interested in hearing how it worked out with that yeast.

[size=+2]Untitled Session[/size]
[size=+1]10-B American Amber Ale[/size]

15.jpg

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 147.82 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.045 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=======#========================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.010 - 1.015)
|===========#====================|
Color: 15.1 (10.0 - 17.0)