IDEA: Arduino controlled Wort Boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwmcqueen

Reaction score
One of the goals for my homebrewing is automation (such that when my son asks me to play a game of catch, I feel okay doing it while making a simplier recipe).

I also brew indoors, so electronic brewing is almost amust (for now, but easier than modifying vents for propane). I cam across this site:

http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/boilnew/boilnew.htm

I'd like to implement something similar, but use an Arduino board to control the details. This would perhaps allow automatic adjustment of the boiling rate to yield the target volume of wort in a given time as well as other features.

Has anyone used an arduino board to give almost 'set-and-forget' automation to their wort boil? Any plans?

I haven't used an arduino board as such, but I have used a Watlow controller with that type of ss relay to control the boil rate of a fractionation tower. Turns out I didn't need that type of control, but it was very similar. My issue was keeping the duty cycle long and still maintaining a good boil. Switching that much power on and off too fast isn't the best idea. And I think it's illegal to a certain degree as I recall. Power companies get angry,,,

Back