What to ask for in a water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2T

Brew Monkey
Reaction score
I contacted my water company and they said they'd be happy to send me a report and asked me to specify what I'd like to know specifically. This kind of threw me cause I'd really like to know *everything*, but I'm trying to come up with a list...been searching various posts and this is what I've come up with. If you have anything to add, I'd appreciate it!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Alkalinity as CaCO3
[/FONT]Arsenic
Bicarbonate
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Cadmium[/FONT]
Calcium
Carbonate
Chloride
Copper
Flouride
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Hardness as CaCO3[/FONT]
Iron
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lead[/FONT]
Magnesium
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Manganese
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Mercury[/FONT]
Nitrate
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Nitrite[/FONT]
pH
Potassium
Silver
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] Sodium
Sulfate
Total Dissolved Solids
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Zinc[/FONT]

Some of these are probably not necessarily related to brewing...but I'm also just curious how much lead and arsenic is my water.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

You might also want to ask about Cryptosporidium and ask whether they use chlorine gas (which will eventually dissipate out if the water is left out) or chloramines which will remain in the water unless treated chemically. According to wikipedia, sodium metabisulfite can be used to remove chloramines, though I have no idea how much is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_metabisulfite

Good suggestion. You might ask about all microbiological levels (e.g., E. coli).

And 1/4 to 1/2 of a campden tablet is all you need to precipitate out chlorine/chloramine in 5 gal of water.

Back