54k btu Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with that particular setup is the pot. That pot has a much larger surface area than the normal turkey fryer pot. The more surface area you have, the larger your boil off rate will be. With a pot that wide, you will be boiling off 2 gallons or more in an hour. You want to find a pot that has the volume you want that is taller than it is wide.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

It looks good to me... I have a 56K and it works sweet! I wouldn't worry to much of the boil off rate... just figure out what it is and add more water... no biggy really

Bugeaterbrewing said:
The problem with that particular setup is the pot. That pot has a much larger surface area than the normal turkey fryer pot. The more surface area you have, the larger your boil off rate will be. With a pot that wide, you will be boiling off 2 gallons or more in an hour. You want to find a pot that has the volume you want that is taller than it is wide.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Wayne, how much of a disadvantage is that, really? I know when I'm batch sparging, it always seems like I'm leaving a lot of sugars behind; if I could collect more wort and not have to do a 90- or 120-minute boil (with the consequential caramelization), wouldn't that be a good thing? Wouldn't that let you boil a pils-malt based wort for only 60 minutes and not worry about excess DMS?

If it's a regular beer, just drop the boil down so it's just barely boiling.

What am I missing? Is there another technical disadvantage of too high a boil-off rate?

Back