How's my crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshstokes122

Reaction score
I got a new cereal killer grain mill for Christmas and I'm using it for the first time today. I've set the gap between the rollers to 0.035 and put a couple of handfuls of grain through the mill. Just wonder how what my crush should look like. Here's a pic of some of the grain that's home through. What do you think? Keep going?

image-2791101563.jpg

hard to tell from that pic. brew with it and find out. Do you get good extraction? How does it lauter?

Yeah, the pic looked much better on my phone. I'll just keep going and see how she brews.

How freely should the rollers turn? I'm not feeling a whole lot of resistance now. Is there a typical amount of time to crush through ~10lbs?

It looks pretty good to me based on that grainy (get it?) picture. Seems like some of the hulls are generally intact, which is what you are going for so you dont get a stuck mash.

Are there any grains that havent been crushed? If so then I would crank it down just a bit more.

kpr121 said:
Are there any grains that havent been crushed? If so then I would crank it down just a bit more.

Looks like all the grains were getting crushed. I was just worried about getting too fine of a crush. The passive roller stuck and that's why the mill got easier to turn. It was also kind of grinding the grain as opposed to crushing it and letting it pass through because of this.

Once I figured that out, I just put a cupful of grain in at a time to ensure the passive roller was spinning. I got a much better crush this way. Looks a lot better. Don't worry, I won't bother with a pic.

I think I'll modify my hopper to make sure it directs the grain right between the rollers and try to set something up to protect the ends of the passive roller. Grains were getting stuck there and causing it to lock up.

Back