What is the difference between these two brew kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewN

Reaction score
I'm starting to get into all grain brewing and I'm putting together my equipment. I have noticed that when it comes to kettles there seems to always be a really cheap model and a high end one. From the specifications I can't really see the difference.

$239.99

$102

Is the $200 dollar one really worth the difference?

i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.

I would say it's totally not worth the difference. It does have the false bottom so it can be used as a mash tun, but that's not worth it.

I wouldn't jump the gun on that..look at the bottoms of the kettles. The ECONOMY pot is just a thin sheet of stainless.. the more expensive one has a heat sink on the bottom( probably a thick aluminum plate ) which SHOULD make it more heat efficient AND less likely to scorch the wort, and far less likely to warp.

Is it worth the difference....thats up to you.

i you are even a little bit handy you could make a keggle for $100 or less depending on how much you pay for the keg, i found one for $45 bucks on craigslist.

BINGO. I have under 30 bucks in my keggle. BUT I have friends in low places and got my fittings free. The keg I honestly found in a ditch.

will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.

Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.

I'd look around for a 10 gallon pot. If you are doing 5 gallon batches you can easily start with a 7 preboil volume. I have a friend who does this and boils vigorously. He ends up with just under 5 gallons. I boil a bit more gently and end up with 6 gallons. The point is you have more room and won't have to worry as much about boilover.

will you be sticking to 5 gallon batches? i quickly outgrew my first kettle and ended up buying a series of kettles in increasing sizes. if i had to do it again i would have just started with the keggle.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, get a bigger kettle. You will be happy you did.

Buy one that can do 10 gallon batches even if you are not ready for them. You will never worry about boil overs and you will be ready to step up and not be stuck with a small kettle.

Keggle is the way to go. Especially if all u plan on doing is 5 gallon batches. Gets a little tricky fighting the boil over with the 10 gal batches. 12-13 gal of wort in a 15 gal vessel doesn't allow for much headroom. Actually considering getting 20 gal blinchmann now.

exactly, my keggle is a little small for my 10 gal batches. I'm now looking for a 25 gal kettle for 10 and 15 gal batches. probably just buy aluminum to save $$$.

Cool thanks for the advice!

I assume a Keggle is just a Keg that has had is top cut open and a valve added to the bottom?

As others have said for 5 gal batches I would get at least a 10 gallon pot, less chance of boil over. The route I went was an aluminum stock pot (Stock Pot) and putting on my own weldless fittings (bargainfittings and brewershardware)

BrewRigKettles.jpg

Whatever route you go, go bigger, you'll be happier in the end. I got the 15gal Blichmann and it's tricky to do 10gal batches in. With Fermcap, a spray bottle and some flame control it's doable, but I wish I'd gone with the 20gal one and had been done with it. I thought I'd probably never do a 10 gal. batch of beer but after doing one, I just might convert the 15 gal. Blichmann to a mash tun and get a standard 20 stockpot for a boil kettle.

The other piece of advice I can offer is buy the better product, no matter the size you choose. Might be expensive at first, but you'll never catch yourself saying "Wish I'd gotten the better one." and I'm pretty sure anyone who's bought the better product has never ended up saying, "Wish I'd bought the cheaper one."

one thing about the internet is everyone has a opinion. buy the biggest kettle you can afford, if that means buying aluminum instead of stainless steal then buy aluminum. Many brewers have used their aluminum kettles for years and are very happy with them. If you buy a small SS kettle instead of the large aluminum you are restricting yourself to smaller batch sizes or constant worries of boil over.

Back