Help with stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anton90

Reaction score
Hi in going ro brew a dry stout this weekend. I read somewhere the you should only use the bitter hops not the aroma and such is it true? And what does vatting mean? And My last question, how do i get the great foam head? Hope i can help me!

The hops thing is right as far as I know. the style doesn't have hop aroma/flavor. Vatting as far as I know means putting everything together to ferment. The head comes from the tap. You need a tap with a restrictor plate (stout tap) and a beer gas blend (75% N2 and 25% Co2). The beer is conditioned on Co2 then dispensed with the beer gas so it doesn't become over carbonated at the pressure required for passing through the restrictor plate.

Look up O'flannigan standard in the stout recipe area. Great place to start. Use some flaked barley for the head retention (maybe 1/2 to a lb.). Yes, use some bittering hops, no need for flavor or aroma hops in a regular stout recipe. Anything you have on hand to get you the IBU's you are looking for.

Back