Dry hopping whole hops vs pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
I'm drinking my DFH60 clone now and I don't really sense quite as much hop aroma as I thought I would.
I used a pre-boiled nylon leg and pellet hops for 7 days of dry hopping.
I don't have the real thing to compare it to presently.
Would whole hops freely dry-hopping turn out better than pellets restricted within a bag? They seemed to be completely wort-absorbed/saturated but they were a bit compacted within it. ??

How much hops did you use? I can't answer your original question bit I do know, or have heard anyway, that whole hops absorb a bunch of water, float around and are just generally a p.i.t.a. to deal with.

I use whole hops now exclusively.....since I grow my own.....and I think that the hop aroma and flavor is way better than using pellets. However, some people like the pellets better. Just a matter of what your taste buds tell you. I will say though, that in my experience I have to use more whole hops to achieve the same hoppiness as I did with pellets.

Recipe called for:
.50 Simco 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop

I guess I'm really wondering if just tossing them in - whole or pellets is better than confined within a bag. I have read of ton of threads but none actually addressed this question. I really like the recipe I think I'll do them loose and strain at the racking cane as a good test next time.

I personally think it is best to Dry hop in the Secondary, or at least after primary fermentation is finished. Leave fermenter in a cool place for at least a week, two is better. Pellets I would just dump them in and cold crash later, maybe a nylon over the end of the racking tube, but if careful the Cold Crash will compact it enough so that it is not a problem.

I just watched a YT vid on this very thing, have a look. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/anarchotron#p/u/14/wUHAvg5JL40[/ame]

I believe whole hops are better for dry hopping - if you are looking to maximize aroma. In the making of hop pellets, the hops are chopped up and then force through a pelleting machine. Both of these steps generate some heat, which will drive off aromas, not to mention the crushing of the oil glands. You'll probably leave more beer in the carboy dry hopping with whole hops though. Choose your poison.

Back