Why haven't I experienced any blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainbeers

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing. About 15 batches and planning my first AG next week. I have a blowoff setup. My question to you is why haven't I ever experienced any blowoff? I ferment at fairly low temps (64-66). And I've only recently made a few starters. I know that I probably shouldn't be complaining about this. Just wondering.

I ferment in a fairly large, plastic fermenter (7.5 gallons iirc) and with 5 gallon batches never have any blowoff.
Therefore, my guess is that you have plenty of headroom in your fermenter.

Brew a really big beer (1.070+), pitch a mrmalty.com sized starter, fill your 6.5G carboy up to 5.5G, enjoy.

I've rarely had blowoff with the exception of a really high gravity stout... do 5.5 gallons of high gravity apfelwein in a 6.5 carboy, you'll get your blowoff.

It's because of your low temps. I used to get blowoffs all the time until I started fermenting lower. Haven't had one since.

Put your wort onto a fresh yeast cake that you just racked a beer off of. That should do it. ;)

I'm glad this thread went where it went, I was going to be very disappointed if it didn't :ban:

Damn I have no idea what all your guys problems are. ive been having blowoffs weekly since January, and I only started homebrewing in April!!!!

Damn I have no idea what all your guys problems are. ive been having blowoffs weekly since January, and I only started homebrewing in April!!!!

your arm must be huge!

to the OP, have you been doing big brews? My 1.052 pale ale didn't blow off, but a stout I had around there did, so I'm not really sure what the deciding factor is.

I have the distinct feeling that many of you are not talking about fermenting beer but something completely different. Now if only I could figure out what that something different was...

If you take SWMBO to the shoe store and hold her purse instead of going to the lhbs, you may encounter some blowoff...

Seirously though, I sometimes get it and sometimes not. Depends on what I'm brewing etc. I have done beers with more wheat malt and needed a blowoff. Some others not. Also, cooler temps will slow down the initial fermentation, especially when you don't pitch much yeast.

if your beers taste good, then RDWHAHB!

'cause you've been lucky. I mean most folks complain if their beer paints their ceiling, possibly losing gallons of it and infecting the rest. And you, you masochist actually WANT it? Sicko. :D

I've only had one in several years of brewing. And you don't see me complaining do you?;)

I've never had one, either. I attribute it to careful control of the fermentation temps plus Fermcap in big beer. Even then, I had an Imperial Stout that I repitched get right up to the top of my bucket, but still no blow off.

Only hefeweizens fermented warm (70°F+) caused blowoff for me doing 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Every other beer I've brewed was fine with a regular airlock. On the other hand, I chronically underpitch yeast due to laziness, so take that for what you will.

Back