CT brewers - where do you buy bulk grain? Group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Last time, I bought a 55# bag of 2-row from the LHBS, but I'd like to get a better deal than that. Anyone doing group buys in CT?

Thanks

If you guys can move some grain to the eastern part of the state, it appears 1 or 2 of you are, I'd be interested even though I'm in RI.

On North Country it states it's $75 for a pallet to New England states with a pallet being up to 42 bags. Obviously the more sacks the better the savings.
My guess it would have to be a business location to be able to unload a pallet. Although if it ended up at a hub they may allow you to show up with a truck and just unload the pallet.

The minimum is whatever you want, but it's got to be delivered on a pallet via freight. It will probably cost something like $90 for the shipping. With that, the threshold to make it worth it is something like 12 sacks. Any less than that and you might as well pay $60 a sack at the LHBS. You can pay a $75 premium for a truck with a lift gate for a residential delivery.

Also, if you can be sure you'll have like 4 guys around at the time of delivery, you might want to take a chance at a hand unload where you cut the pallet open right on the truck and toss the bags down quickly. It carries a little risk though because the last bill of lading I signed off on said "driver: collect $125 if hand unload". Now, I'm not much of a gambling man but I'd say throwing the driver a $20 would make him forget all about it.

I'm in for at least 3 sacks if and when someone gets this started. I'm up in Boston, but have family in the New Haven area that can pick up for me. Lemme know! :D

I live in CT and i order from North Country Malt. I just called them for a 55# sack of 2 row is $27.01 and to ship it to the Litchfield hills area where i am from it $22.39. For a grand total of $49.40. That is $.90 a pound. No LHBS is going to be able to come close to that. Also their prices on the website are not correct. A group buy would be more of a savings but if you cannot get one together the price is not that bad for a sack.

You got that price of $27 on one bag? I just called and got quoted the price on the web site of $35.89 for Canada 2 row pale ale.

Yup i did... I bought one about a month ago and it was about the same price... few cents different.

Well he apparently got the new girl in the office or something. The woman I spoke with when I called back said they only offer that price to commercial breweries or groups that do buys. "That's it," I was told. Buying just one or so bags it's $35.89.

I wanted to revisit this group buy idea, as I am near the bottom of my existing bag (which lasted too long...I need to do something about that!). Is anyone interested in pursuing this now? I don't have a suitable place to receive the order, but would be willing to organize this if someone gives me some pointers...

thanks

Back