Is my wine going to taste like petrol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I have a batch of Plum, and a seperate batch of blackberry wine on the go.

I started them both around a week ago, and followed a recipie to make two gallons fo each, however i have around three of each according to teh gallons marker on my fermentation bucket, so im thinking i may have had a recipie for american gallnos, and im in teh UK, arent they slightly different?

Anyway the blackberry wine has champagne yeast, and the plum has some youngs super wine yeast compund.

I added campden tablets to both and pitched teh yeast a day llater to both at the same time.

Ive now, after 5 days strained the fruit from each, and returned to the fermentation buckets, i plan to rack them into demijohns for secondary fermentation in a couple of days, however

I measured both the OG's with my hydrometer, the plum wine read exactl 1.000 an the blackberry wine was .980 ish

Am i right to believe these are quite low for OG? I was expecting around 1.080 or something? What can i do to try and save this wine, or will it be ok?

It sounds fine- I assume when you say your took the "OG", that really meant that you took the specific gravity after 5 days? That one is at 1.000 and one is at .998 (not .980- your hydrometer doesn't go that low!).

That means that the wines are about finished fermenting. You'd want to rack them into the demijohns now to let them finish up.

You take the OG at the very beginning- before you even pitch the yeast. I would guess that you were somewhere around 1.065- 1.095 before you pitched the yeast, if you think that you used too much water in the recipe. Even so, if you followed the recipe, you should be fine!

UK gallons are 20% bigger than US gallons for future reference. I'm sure your wine will be fine :)

Back