Thoughts on: WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
I used this in a red that I brewed. I got about 71% attenuation when I fermented at 63 deg. There was 1.5 pounds of crystal in it though. What do you guys/gals think about this yeast?

thanks

I used this in a red that I brewed. I got about 71% attenuation when I fermented at 63 deg. There was 1.5 pounds of crystal in it though. What do you guys/gals think about this yeast?

thanks

That's odd, thought it was supposed to have higher attenuation than that. Tasty and I were just talking about this yeast a couple minutes ago. I've been wanting to try it out.

</name drop>

That's odd, thought it was supposed to have higher attenuation than that. Tasty and I were just talking about this yeast a couple minutes ago. I've been wanting to try it out.

I was expecting more, WL says 70-80%. I was at the same FG for 1 1/2 weeks. So its still within specs.

I use it frequently and it is a consistent performing yeast for me. Finishes low and clear with a nice flavor profile. Flocs like a mother and nice when bottled; very compact sediment.

What mash-temperature? What size starter? Did you oxygenate well?

This one should finish drier. I might add that it's excellent for IPAs

I used Wyeast 1007 for about 5 years. It makes for a good clean beer. It forms a good cake of yeast on top. If you draw the beer out from under it Its pretty clear. If the yeast cake falls in the beer, its cloudy for what seems for ever.

For a 10 gallon batch I used a 3 quart+ simple starter from the smaller package which was the only one available then. I put a few minutes of o2 in the ball valve and open fermented in a converted 1/2 keg. usually around 68*f. I drew the beer off after 6 days every time. It went into kegs.

Got a pack of 1007 in the fridge for my next house ale.

Attenuation? I don't remember and can't find my old notebook.

David

I used it in my Rouge brutal bitter clone, and liked it a lot, I let it go at 68º and it cleaned up well, and was not too estery. As I remember that beer was a big hit.

I will be using it this weekend in my strong ESB.

Would this yeast do ok in a pale ale at around 1.050 OG? I'm really not sure what adding a high attenuative yeast to a fairly low OG beer would result in. A drier beer, I'm sure.

There was 1.5 pounds of crystal in it though.
I think this is the difference in attenuation. Attenuation would be in the mid 70s if you ommitted the crystal. I have had several beers that looked like attenuation came out low for the yeast strain, but if you check against the grain bill, they are heavy in the crystal/non-fermentable department.

What is your complete grain bill and mash schedule?

I think this is the difference in attenuation. Attenuation would be in the mid 70s if you ommitted the crystal. I have had several beers that looked like attenuation came out low for the yeast strain, but if you check against the grain bill, they are heavy in the crystal/non-fermentable department.

What is your complete grain bill and mash schedule?

This is what I was thinking also.

Its an extract recipe, here it is:

Code:
Fermentables:
Name                                     amount units  pppg    lov        %
American Black Barley            1.00    oz   1.027   500.0   0.6%
American Crystal  20L             0.50    lb    1.035   20.0   5.0%
American Crystal  40L             0.50    lb    1.034   40.0   5.0%
American Crystal  80L             0.50    lb    1.034   80.0   5.0%
American Munich (Light)          0.50    lb    1.033   10.0   5.0%
Light Malt Extract Syrup          8.00    lb    1.034    4.0    79.5%

Hops: 
Name                   amount units  Alpha    Min   IBU
Simcoe                   0.25    oz   12.9     60.0  10.5
Tettnanger              0.50    oz    5.5      30.0   6.7
Simcoe                   0.50    oz   12.9    15.0   10.1
Tettnanger              0.50    oz    5.5     15.0    4.3
Cascade                 0.50    oz    7.2     15.0    5.6
Cascade                 0.50    oz    7.2      0.0     0.0
Tettnanger             0.50    oz    4.5      0.0     0.0

steep grains @ 160 for 30 min in 2 gallons.

I think you're fine. Some extracts are not very fermentable, relatively speaking. If your hydrometer says the gravity is not changing, you're good to go with bottling.

First time using this yeast. Pitched it on a 1.080 OG IPA last night around midnight and had airlock activity and a krausen forming when I got up at 5:00AM. Trying it on a recipe that had used Pacman.

I wondering about your experience with fermenting temperatures. White Labs say 65-70 degrees. Right now I have it at around 66 degrees with the ambient in the fermentor set at 64. What temperatures have been used and what were the results?

The title of this thread says it all, so I figured it was a good place to tag on a question. Thanks.

I wondering about your experience with fermenting temperatures. White Labs say 65-70 degrees. Right now I have it at around 66 degrees with the ambient in the fermentor set at 64. What temperatures have been used and what were the results?

The title of this thread says it all, so I figured it was a good place to tag on a question. Thanks.

Sense this thread I've used this yeast twice at 68º, and pitched it a second time in to my mother pumpkin ale. My ESB 1.062 was at 68º, and was down to 1.012 in 10-14 days. It really cleans up well, I think I will start using it for my IPA's and IIPA's. I think it cleans up better than 001.

What do you expect, it is the secret agent of yeast!

Well, I had two beers in primary. An APA using S-05 and a IPA using WLP007. The APA was brewed a week before the IPA. The APA was cold crashed for about a week and a half. The IPA was taken out of the fridge after primary fermentation was done (about one week) and set outside of the fridge and sat at ambient temperature for a week. The IPA was extremely clear with no cold crash or fining agent. The APA is cloudy still. Go figure.

Think I found a new favorite yeast.

I have a vial sitting in my fridge waiting to be used, I had SWMBO stop by the brewstore a couple weeks ago on her way home from work, and of course the guy gave her WLP007 instead of WLP002, but I kept it anyhow as I have read many positive reviews about this yeast. I was thinking of using it on a English Mild, but I was concerned about the attenuation with htis lower gravity style.

Worked great in my Extra Stout. Stone recommends it to clone their brews.

My 1.080 OG IPA (kind of an Arrogant Bastard) went to 1.019 in 10 days at around 66-68 degrees with this yeast. Stuck it in a secondary for dry hopping and hope to get a couple more gravity points.

Brewed Wednesday afternoon right after doing the transfer. I using half the slurry for a 1.094 Imperial Black Ale. Had 1" krausen in about 12 hours. Woke up this morning to blow-off. I have to keep lowering the temperature on the mini fridge. Right now the ambient temperature is at 55 degrees and the carboy is at 67! This is aggressive stuff.

Oh, and the sample of the first beer was outstanding. This may be my new favorite yeast.

Just made a RIS using WLP00 with a 2L starter. 74% attenuation and it taste fan-****ing-tastic.

Very happy with the results.

I brewed an Old Ale/Winter Warmer with WLP007 last week. It went from 1.078 to 1.018 in less than 3 days and is still bubbling 15-20 times a minute. Too soon to say how the beer has turned out, but I'm impressed with it's performance so far. I used a total of 14 oz. of Crystal, for the record.

I have not tasted the final product yet but I used it in a english strong ale and went from 1.084 to 1.010. I will have to backsweeten it a bit I think.

I just used this for the first time in a strong ESB that i brewed a week ago. I used a 2 pint starter and was very happy with how quickly fermentation started. At this point (about 10 days later) there are no visible signs of fermentation, but I don't typically take gravity readings before the 2 week mark.

I just used this for the first time in a strong ESB that i brewed a week ago. I used a 2 pint starter and was very happy with how quickly fermentation started. At this point (about 10 days later) there are no visible signs of fermentation, but I don't typically take gravity readings before the 2 week mark.

Any updates on how this finished up for ya?

I'm thinking about making a strong ESB also, and have been looking at
this yeast.

Do you remember your grain bill, og, fg?

I used it in a Mild a couple of weeks ago, it attenuates high and fast. Went from 1038 to 1013 in like 48 hours. I fermented at 68, and it's pretty darn clean. I did start it a bit low though, around 63. I wouldn't have used it for the Mild, but I'm building up a pitch for a Winter Warmer. The mild is really too clean and dry for me. For a English ales, especially low gravity ales, that need some ester character I would use the WLP002, or maybe jack the temp up a bit more, 70-71?

I'd agree that this would be a pretty good replacement for WLP001 if you keep the temp down.

I dropped a lot (4L starter's worth) of WLP007 into well-aerated RIS wort this past Sunday. I had 1# turbinado in the recipe and mashed at 149, because there was 1.5# crystal and I was expecting to hit a gravity around 1.115, but the OG came out a bit low at 1.105. I've heard stories about ridiculously high attenuation with this stuff and am a bit worried about my beer coming out below 1.020. Any guesses as to whether that'll happen?

I was expecting to hit a gravity around 1.115, but the OG came out a bit low at 1.105. I've heard stories about ridiculously high attenuation with this stuff and am a bit worried about my beer coming out below 1.020. Any guesses as to whether that'll happen?

dropping your beer blow 1.020 would be an apparent attenuation of 79.5% which is at the max attenuation of 007.

from WL:
WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%

Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum fermentation temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Fermentation temperature: 68° F

dropping your beer blow 1.020 would be an apparent attenuation of 79.5% which is at the max attenuation of 007.

Sure - but someone up above had 88% attenuation, and I *did* do quite a bit (mashing low, adding simple sugar) to spur high attenuation. Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had it chomp through a beer that thoroughly when the OG is above 1.100.

Fermentaion for my strong ESB stalled at around 1.025 (or close to it, I'm at work and don;t have the exact numbers). I was looking for it to get closer to 1.017. I roused the carboy slightly and pitched some rehydrated US-05 last weekend, so I'll take another reading this weekend and see whats going on. The beer tastes good and I like the flavor of the yeast, but it's just too sweet for me. Besides with a pund of dextrose, it should have finished lower.

corrected numbers: stalled at 1.021, expected FG: 1.013 OG: 1.067

Sure - but someone up above had 88% attenuation, and I *did* do quite a bit (mashing low, adding simple sugar) to spur high attenuation. Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had it chomp through a beer that thoroughly when the OG is above 1.100.

I guess thats if you are looking at apparent attenuation, if you look at real attenuation its a bit lower. Humanbrewing was making and English strong ale, and he hit 87% App. Attenuation and 71% real attenuation. I'd assume he did not have a lot of highly kilned malts as you RIS, but I have not seen his recipe.

To really get an idea I guess we need to know more of your recipe. This was a RIS, so you added how much flaked barley? and how much roasted barley? they should add a bit of unfermentable sugars, and keep your FG a bit higher.

Don't have the recipe in front of me, but it was fairly close to the grainbill from the "Gatos Locos" imperial stout:

60% Maris Otter
10% Munich
5% Carafa III or Roasted Barley
5% Crystal 60L
5% Crystal 120L or Special "B"
5% British Chocolate Malt
3% Flaked Oats
7% Turbinado Sugar (added to boil with 10 min left)

Don't have the recipe in front of me, but it was fairly close to the grainbill from the "Gatos Locos" imperial stout:

60% Maris Otter
10% Munich
5% Carafa III or Roasted Barley
5% Crystal 60L
5% Crystal 120L or Special "B"
5% British Chocolate Malt
3% Flaked Oats
7% Turbinado Sugar (added to boil with 10 min left)

It looks like you have about 25% of your grain bill composed of malts with 65-73% extractable fermentable sugars. just from my quick calculations I came up with that with this gain bill, your total fermentable sugars you should be getting between 75-80% of your total extraction. This should put your FG around 1.023-1.019 once all these are consumed with an attenuation of 77-80%, if you got 88% you will be at 1.012. To me with your recipe, I don't think you can get this low with saccharomyces. there just are not enough fermentable sugars.

I got this from the extraction % I have in my database, so other peoples and your numbers my be different. I can be wrong I often am.

As a follow-up to my previous posts, my WLP007 stout just spent 4 weeks in primary and is only down to 1.030, from an OG of 1.105. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll just chalk it up to the large amount of specialty malts and the fact that I aerate with (lots and lots of) carboy shaking instead of pure O2. Plus I guess a 149-150F mash temperature is still a tad high when you've got so much damn sugar.

Anyway, just another data point for anyone who is curious about this somewhere down the line. I'm not too bummed, now my stout will just be a little less kick-you-in-the-ass and a little more chocolate-milkshake.

[edit - plus, to be fair, 71.x% attenuation is still within the yeast specs, although it also claims to have 80% attenuation even for 10% ABV beers]

Back