Jet burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question about how to hook up a jet burner to a steel pipe propane line. Basically I'd like to know.......is the main hole to the ring burner threaded to accept a pipe fitting or is there some special way that you need to hook it all up? I'm assuming a little gas tape and screwing in the pipe is all thats needed.......am I right?

I think it's a simple SAE pipe fitting on mine. It came assembled but from my vague memory that is what it is. I think I'm reading your question right???? Mine goes burner... male pipe fitting to female flare fitting for propane regulator..... propane hose..... male flare fitting (reverse threading) into propane tank. I'm not sure if that's what you are asking but I hope it helps.

Mine is an SAE pipe fitting so you should be able to join it with a steel pipe as it should have an SAE pipe fitting as well.

Mine is an SAE pipe fitting so you should be able to join it with a steel pipe as it should have an SAE pipe fitting as well.

I think it's actually National Pipe Thread (NPT), not SAE. The SAE threads I am familiar with are nut and bolt type fine threads, not pipe fitting threads.

I have a question about how to hook up a jet burner to a steel pipe propane line. Basically I'd like to know.......is the main hole to the ring burner threaded to accept a pipe fitting or is there some special way that you need to hook it all up? I'm assuming a little gas tape and screwing in the pipe is all thats needed.......am I right?

The burner should have a brass gas orifice that you can hook up to with standard pipe thread fittings. Sometimes, depending on the design, the orifice and control valve are a part of the same assembly.

Show us a close up pick of the burner etc and we can probably help you figure it out.

Hmmmm......still confused if I need an additional part between the steel pipe and the ring burner, like a flare nut or something? I mean the way it looks now I can buy a 3/4" pipe from HD, some gas tape and just screw it into the opening to the ring burner, the other end into the regulator, the regular into the propane tank and have at it .....right?

Hmmmm......still confused if I need an additional part between the steel pipe and the ring burner, like a flare nut or something? I mean the way it looks now I can buy a 3/4" pipe from HD, some gas tape and just screw it into the opening to the ring burner, the other end into the regulator, the regular into the propane tank and have at it .....right?

What burner do you have. If it's a multi-jet burner you can hook it up directly to the pipe. There are different models of these burners. Some are jetted for natural gas and others for propane.

If this is not a multi-jet burner, but one of the more common jet, ring or diffuser designs, it will require an air damper and an orifice jet. I think yoiu must have the multi-jet burner if it was delivered with only a plain threaded pipe inlet and nothing else. The first thing you need to know is whether it is designed for natural gas or propane. The second thing you want to know is what gas pressure is it designed for. Whoever sold it to you should be able to provide the needed information. Don't those things come with instructions of some kind?

What burner do you have. If it's a multi-jet burner you can hook it up directly to the pipe. There are different models of these burners. Some are jetted for natural gas and others for propane.

If this is not a multi-jet burner, but one of the more common jet, ring or diffuser designs, it will require an air damper and an orifice jet. I think yoiu must have the multi-jet burner if it was delivered with only a plain threaded pipe inlet and nothing else. The first thing you need to know is whether it is designed for natural gas or propane. The second thing you want to know is what gas pressure is it designed for. Whoever sold it to you should be able to provide the needed information. Don't those things come with instructions of some kind?

Well it clearly stated on the website that it was a propane multi jet burner. As far as what gas pressure its designed for, it didn't say.
No directions, just the burner wrapped in packing material with packing slip attached to the box. But your right, all it has is a threaded hole to hook it directly to a pipe.
I'm going to get one of the 0-60psi adjustable regulators and see how that works.

OK, then you have the multi-jet burner and it's jetted for propane. You are good to go with a direct connection between the regulator and the burner then. The adjustable regulator is a good choice. I don't think you will ever come close to needing the full 60 psi though. A 0-30 would be plenty and may work better permitting finer adjustment especially at low flame levels. There's a long thread about these burners that may interest you. It's worth a read.

Back