Group grain buy Pittsburgh / Western PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugman is trying to gage interest in a second pallet. I'm pretty sure that I know of at least 8 with you, but the spreadsheet isn't public. I'm waiting to hear back on another 4 bags myself from some locals.

Hey Hermit - I too am in the Ytown area (Hermitage PA area actually). I would be interested in 4-6 bags, if the pricing is good. With one barrel batches, I go through at least 2/3 of a bag of base grain with every brew.

I have been getting all my 50/55 lb. bags from the LHBS - Gregg at the Pumphouse in Struthers. I highly recommend him ( I am sure you probably already go to him seeing you are in the area.) I just give Gregg about 2 weeks notice (although he usually can get the grain in less than a week.) and pick it up at the store. His pricing is pretty good, I always thought. My last 55 lb. bag of Muntons Pearl British Pale was $50.95 out the door. The last 55 lb. MO was $62. the last Breiss 2-row was $45.

I like buying one bag at a time, as there is less $ outlay all at once, but if there is a significant savings, it would be worth it.

Are you guys able to order the other, non-grain stuff with this bulk order, too? (such as cleaners, kettle finings, sanitizers, etc?)

Hey Hermit - I too am in the Ytown area (Hermitage PA area actually). I would be interested in 4-6 bags, if the pricing is good. With one barrel batches, I go through at least 2/3 of a bag of base grain with every brew.

I have been getting all my 50/55 lb. bags from the LHBS - Gregg at the Pumphouse in Struthers. I highly recommend him ( I am sure you probably already go to him seeing you are in the area.) I just give Gregg about 2 weeks notice (although he usually can get the grain in less than a week.) and pick it up at the store. His pricing is pretty good, I always thought. My last 55 lb. bag of Muntons Pearl British Pale was $50.95 out the door. The last 55 lb. MO was $62. the last Breiss 2-row was $45.

I like buying one bag at a time, as there is less $ outlay all at once, but if there is a significant savings, it would be worth it.

Are you guys able to order the other, non-grain stuff with this bulk order, too? (such as cleaners, kettle finings, sanitizers, etc?)

I'm pretty close to the limit of what I can pick up depending on what goes through. I might be able to do the 4. I'll have to check.

OK. In now. Add me for two more bags of the cm-2row

My totals including those I'm picking up for brings me up to 17, just about my limit. Let me know if this is right. Second pallet is listed below the line since it isn't a given:

rawtto
cm-2row 1
bd-mopa 1
hermit
TF-MOPA 1
TF-GPRM 1
875-E-1 1
bigtoe
cm-2row 1
respawn22
cm-2row 1
BD-MUNH 1
logdrum 3 1

Hermit - No problem, man. Maybe I can pick them up myself, if there is enough interest in a second pallet.

Hey Bugman, are you getting them delivered to your place in Butler, and if so is that where everyone will be picking them up? I am not that far from Butler - 45 mins maybe.

I am good for 4-6 anyway. Will talk to a brewing buddy to see if he's interested in some too.

You know, I don't think I have ever used any of these maltsters' grain! I have been using Breiss, Muntons, and Weyermann for the base grains, though I may have used some of their specialty grains. Guess its time to try something new!

You know, I don't think I have ever used any of these maltsters' grain! I have been using Breiss, Muntons, and Weyermann for the base grains, though I may have used some of their specialty grains. Guess its time to try something new!

Don't know if it matters, but on a recent tour of Great Lakes Brewery, I saw lots of pallets of Great Western malt. I do know that they get silo deliveries as well, but don't know (and didn't ask-d'oh) what maltster that is.

-d

Good to know! Great Lakes makes great beer, for sure.

One of my buddies got back to me and is in for 3-4 bags. I am good for 4-6 bags. So that's 7-10 bags total for me so far. I will talk to my other buddies over the weekend to see how many they are good for. ( I would expect another half dozen maybe.)

Hermit looks like he's good for 6, Faith in Chaos 4-5.

Looks to be around 17-22 bags confirmed so far towards the next pallet then.

Thank you Bugman for doing this for everyone. If we get another pallet, is cash on pickup ok for you?

Good to know! Great Lakes makes great beer, for sure.

One of my buddies got back to me and is in for 3-4 bags. I am good for 4-6 bags. So that's 7-10 bags total for me so far. I will talk to my other buddies over the weekend to see how many they are good for. ( I would expect another half dozen maybe.)

Hermit looks like he's good for 6, Faith in Chaos 4-5.

Looks to be around 17-22 bags confirmed so far towards the next pallet then.

Thank you Bugman for doing this for everyone. If we get another pallet, is cash on pickup ok for you?

I stopped by the PH and talked to Greg. He said at least two, probably 4. Put him down for 4 and I'll just take the extra two if he decides against it. so that is 4 more. I may need you to pick them up. I can only get one more on my truck, maybe squeeze two though that puts me 'officially' over the weight limit.

I can definitely pick up any bags you need, Hermit.

Any idea what kind of time frame we are talking here for placing the order and then how long until delivery?

Ok, here is my list, as of now. I will pick up / pay for all 11 bags below, but please keep separate on the spreadsheet so I can tell my buddy what he owes. I will advise if my other buddy wants to add any.

Sleepystevenson: (6 total bags)

(1) bag - Best Pilsen - BZ-PILS
(1) bag - Best Vienna - BZ-VIEN
(1) bag - CMC Rye - CM-RYEM
(1) bag - CMC Sup.Pale - CM-PALE
(1) bag - NW Pale ale - GW-PALE
(1) bag - Fawcett MO - TF-MOPA

TomA: (5 total bags)

2 - Bags Best Pilsen BZ-PILS
1 - Bag Fawcett: Maris Otter TF-MOPA
1 - Bag Fawcett: Golden Promise TF-GPRM
1 - Bag Northwest Pale Ale GW-PALE

i was thinking the same thing too logdrum, i think bugman placed the order. i wonder how long they take to pack and ship ? anyone have an idea ?

No I haven't, but only because I haven't been asked to. Ready, willing and able, just waiting on the word.

-d

I can't believe he would've placed the order without us paying first. I certainly wouldn't.

Hey guys, I am just waiting to here back from the shipping company. I am running into a problem with getting it delivered. I wanted to get it delivered to my home address where I have a place to put it until everyone can pick it up. I have a small office in town but I don't have anywhere to receive a pallet. The problem lies in the shipping company. If it is a commercial address the shipping is $110 plus the fuel charge on the pallet. If it is a residential address they want $219.00 plus the fuel charge. If it is that much the shipping is like $5.73 per bag compared to $3.21 if it is commercial address. I am trying to get a hold of PJAX to see if I can pick the pallet up at their main hub which is like 7 miles from me and get the commercial price for shipping since they don't have to deliver it.

Hey guys, I am just waiting to here back from the shipping company. I am running into a problem with getting it delivered. I wanted to get it delivered to my home address where I have a place to put it until everyone can pick it up. I have a small office in town but I don't have anywhere to receive a pallet. The problem lies in the shipping company. If it is a commercial address the shipping is $110 plus the fuel charge on the pallet. If it is a residential address they want $219.00 plus the fuel charge. If it is that much the shipping is like $5.73 per bag compared to $3.21 if it is commercial address. I am trying to get a hold of PJAX to see if I can pick the pallet up at their main hub which is like 7 miles from me and get the commercial price for shipping since they don't have to deliver it.

If it turns out to be a bother, I for one, can certainly live with an additional $2.52/bag shipping. No big deal.

-d

Bugman -

I would assume that PJAX will let you pick it up at their hub, as we have done that before with other carries. But if it doesnt:

I don't know if this would help or not, but I have a commercial steel fabrication business, with forktrucks, loading dock, etc. and have plenty of storage room. You are welcome to have them delivered here. HOWEVER - I am about 35-40 miles from Butler in the West Middlesex / Pulaski, PA area. I know that this would be good for Hermit and his crew, as he is much closer to me, but I don't know how that would work out for all the guys closer to Pittsburgh. If you could have one guy come up with his truck and pick up all the bags for the 'Burgh area, maybe it would work out (I am about 1 hr's drive from the city). I can help load. It's no problem if you don't wanna deliver them here - just wanted to give you the option. Might be worth it to save $110 in freight. Feel free to PM me to further discuss - I would be happy to give you my cell number to discuss that way, as well.

Hey Scut - I am hoping for a second pallet, too, as I don't have any on the first. Haven't heard anything yet, however it seems like there is definitely interest. Of course, it's all up to Bugman, as he's the one w/ the North Country Malt account! :)

bugman,
let me know if you need any $$. Not a problem since I'm so far away.
I may be getting together with BJA on Saturday so I might be able to get him pony up some $$ if you guys haven't already worked it out.

Also, doin another brew this Sunday if you're up for it.
Strawberry Blonde Ale is the recipe.. Gotta keep the wife happy.

Damn... just noticed this thread. If there is another buy, I'm good for a half dozen or so. I'll keep checking back or PM me.

Also, I was just reading through the previous page... I manage a small business in Monroeville and we have a forklift and some warehouse room. I know I missed out on the buy, but if I can help in any way let me know.

Also, I was just reading through the previous page... I manage a small business in Monroeville and we have a forklift and some warehouse room. I know I missed out on the buy, but if I can help in any way let me know.

Actually working on a second pallet that is about half full last I knew.

Ok guys, sorry it is taking so long, this is my first time trying to organize a big buy, but I am trying to get everyone the best deal. I have talked to sleepystevenson and we decided to have it delivered to his business address. That saves us shipping money and problems getting it delivered to a residential address. I am going to pick up the orders for everyone around me so it saves drive time for them. It actually works a little better for Hermit and the Ohio people since he is a little closer. The only difference is anyone that is not close to make a payment will need to do it through Paypal so all sleepy has to deal with is all orders are paid for and this is what you ordered. Let me know how this sounds and we can get the rest of the second pallet organized and get it ordered.

Ok guys, sorry it is taking so long, this is my first time trying to organize a big buy, but I am trying to get everyone the best deal. I have talked to sleepystevenson and we decided to have it delivered to his business address. That saves us shipping money and problems getting it delivered to a residential address. I am going to pick up the orders for everyone around me so it saves drive time for them. It actually works a little better for Hermit and the Ohio people since he is a little closer. The only difference is anyone that is not close to make a payment will need to do it through Paypal so all sleepy has to deal with is all orders are paid for and this is what you ordered. Let me know how this sounds and we can get the rest of the second pallet organized and get it ordered.

Works for me. The 'surcharge' to help me with gas is now off for those I will be relaying to. This will actually up bugman's cost so we might consider helping him with gas now though.

Sounds fine. I'll need your email address for paypal. Hey hermit, what do you reckon is fair for gas $? I'm more than ok w/ kicking.

-d

Sounds good to me too. Bugman, will you then pm your email address to those who need to pay via paypal (me being one of them)? I am also fine with contributing to gas whenever that is figured out.

Ok I'm glad everyone is patient with me lol If it sounds good to everyone, I will sit down tomorrow and send invoices out to everyone on the first pallet. Can everyone please PM me your email address and I will send them out..

Everyone one the second pallet please send me your order and I will get it posted into the spreadsheet and one it is finalized I will get those invoiced out also.

Latest posts

Back