Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortimer77

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have brewed my first batch with a simple tru brew kit. I used hop pellets and dried hops placed in a hop sock for the last minute of brewing. However, I did not strain when i transferred wort from cook pot to fermenter. There is alot of crap settling at the top (looks like yeast) and there was some hops that slipped into fermenter from the boil. When I transfer to the bottling bucket, can I use a funnel and strainer at this point? I don't want all that stuff in the bottling process but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt me. I just don't want it to screw up the taste. Any answers and info would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

mortimer

You will want to "rack" or siphon your beer to the bottling bucket. Just pouring into the bucket will introduce oxygen into the beer and you don't want to do that. An Auto-Siphon is the best thing. Others use a racking cane. When siphoning, you can avoid all the gunk.

Yeah, all the gunk will settle to the bottom. But let me get this straight; you added all of the hops in the last minute of the boil?

No. Just the dried hops. Like it told me to do in the kit. I added the hop pellets much earlier. So when I siphon, it won't suck it into the hose? And, if it does, could i use something like a hose strainer (pantyhose tied to the end of hte siphon) to ensure that although some might get sucked through the hose, it will keep it out because of hte nylon strainer on teh end?
Thanks

Back