rtd rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polecreek

Reaction score
I am about two months into my rims build and several dollars. I have a question about the temp probe run from the pid. I think they call it an rtd not a thermocouple, It has tapered 1/2" threads that look like it is made to be mounted in the side of the mash tun. I want to mount it at the heating element using a 1/2" female pipe thread using copper or brass. It threads in ok for a ways but I think it will leak due to the tapered threads. Has anyone done anything different?

If what you describe is pipe threads which are tapered, the normal fit up is three turns by hand then finish tightening with a wrench. Seal the threads with teflon tape, or if threads are bad you can use silicone aquarium caulk as thread sealant without teflon tape, it needs 24 hours to cure though.

Thars the direction I was going but I thought there might be a tapered female pipe thread adapter or some such thing I have not run across.

most controllers can run thermocouples or rtd's. rtds being more accurate but more expensive. where did you get it from? some places offer metric threads and NPT type threads. make sure they match up.

if you have the same thread type (probably npt) you will be ok....teflon tape wrapped clockwise around the the threads if you are looking at the from the bottom (some people wrap backwards and wonder why all the thread tape comes off when inserting it).

the taper on npt is for a purpose "The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal." (quote from internet)

Back