Sierra Nevada IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
Just tried Sierra Nevada IPA this weekend. I've always liked their Pale, but IMHO the IPA was terrible. There was less hop aroma and bitterness than the Pale, which is opposite of the way it should be.

It also had a really "off" taste that seemed it was from the bittering hops. Don't know how to describe it, but my first thought was that the beer was oxidized. After a few more drinks it seemed like it wasn't necessarily oxidation, but just a weird kind of stale hop flavor.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if it was just a bad batch. My wife and a friend also tried it and noticed the same thing.

I agree that it was a little weak. I just tried it for the first time today. However, I disagree that it was a bad tasting beer and I did not get the aftertaste you talked about. Maybe your bottle was on the shelf a little too long.

That's what I'm hoping. It really was an awful beer - I can't imagine Sierra Nevada would intentionally put out something that bad.

I have had their IPA a few times at the brewery. I wasn't impressed. Definitely not worthy of being one of their flagship beers. I also recall not being to impressed by their brown ale either.

I have drank a few and it is weak for an IPA. I don't t remember it having an off taste but I won't reach for it if there are others in the cooler. The Pale Ale is much better.

I always counted their Celebration Ale as their IPA.

I've been thinking of making my own version of what I think SNPA's IPA should be. I'm just going to make the regular recipe and kick up the DME and hops.

Just popped the cap of a 2007 IPA (not sure if its different than any others from the past)??

Not a bad beer in my opinion. Aroma is about equivalent to the regular PA, but there is definitely more bitterness in this IPA. I've had stronger IPAs, but I just consider this an easy-drinking IPA (very easy for 6.9%) and won't hold it against them.

I've definitely had better IPAs with a fuller hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but its not terrible.

I prefer american style IPAs with the citrus characters, so this is not my favorite, but like I said, its not terrible.

I think most people probably aren't fans just because of the hops combo (I think magnum and fuggles)...

I wrote this on another beer message board so I'll copy/paste it here:

I picked up a sixer of the IPA last weekend. I really like it! The hops are not too bitter but very aromatic, and nicely balanced with the malt.

I contacted an acquaintance who works for Sierra Nevada to ask about the beer. Their website listed the IPA as only available on draft. Turns out the recipes are different from the draft to this seasonal release in bottles:

The IPA is our late winter early spring release. It is made with a blend of 2-row malt and Maris Otter floor malt from the UK. All the hops are English. UK East Kent Golding and Challenger hops. It is dry hopped with the above mentioned hops. I found this year's IPA to be very balanced and drinkable. I will pass on the kind words to all those involved.

The recipe is the same as last year's release which was slightly tweaked (added more Maris Otter to increase the maltiness) from the previous IPAs we made. Last year was the first year we made this beer a seasonal release and put it in the bottle.

So to sum up: I think it's a great tasting beer that's a pleasure to drink. As a hop-head, it isn't close to level of hoppiness I expect in a serious IPA so maybe it isn't true to style. It's a nice balance between the hops and malt...

I personally enjoy the IPA. There are definetly more hoppy IPA's out there, and I have not experienced any of the "off flavors" described above. When I was at the brewery in Chico this summer they had two IPA's on tap and reportedly only package one for sale commercially.

It is also unrealistic to compare all of their beers to the Pale Ale as that is the flagship product and the model that many people attribute to jump starting the craft brew boom in the 80's (along with Sam Adams). The Pale Ale is a favorite of mine but I think the IPA is good too (within appropriate aging times). :mug:

Back