First primary fermentation in a Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reno Homebrewer

Reaction score
Up until now, I have always used a fermenting bucket for my primary. On Saturday, I brewed my first Lager, and used a 6 gallon Better Bottle for primary. It has been nearly 72 hours, and I have no activity, and there is alot of what looks like globs of protein sitting on top. I used Wyeast 2007. My pitching temp was around 75 degrees, and I have it sitting in a fridge using an electronic thermostat set at 55 degrees. Is this normal?

Lagers do take longer to get going, particularly if you didn't use a big starter. I don't know about your "globs", but it doesn't really sound like anything is wrong.

What kind of yeast are you using? I never heard of a lager yeast called 1338.

Sorry to keep questioning you- ACT1338 is a European ALE yeast, that's why I'm confused. If you're using 1338, you have to be at least at 62-65 degrees to have fermentation. It would be way too cold to ferment at lager temperatures. The yeast would flocculate out and not do well. If you're really using a different yeast, a lager yeast, then of course I'm way off base.

Oh, I see that you changed your original post to a different yeast. Gotcha. Then, you should be fine at the temps. you're at. I didn't see that you edited it, so that is why I was so confused!

Your temps should be fine. Remember, that without a huge starter, the lag time will be great. 72 hours is a long time, but it should go. Also, lager yeasts are bottom fermenting, so that's usually where all the action is but you may see krausen. Slow and steady tends to be the norm for lager yeasts.

Sorry to keep questioning you- ACT1338 is a European ALE yeast, that's why I'm confused. If you're using 1338, you have to be at least at 62-65 degrees to have fermentation. It would be way too cold to ferment at lager temperatures. The yeast would flocculate out and not do well. If you're really using a different yeast, a lager yeast, then of course I'm way off base.

Yeah, I've used 1338, it's an Ale Yeast...It's also a really sloooowwww starting yeast.

Here's the list of Wyeast Lager Yeasts...Any of these sound right?

Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager Yeast. A classic American pilsner strain, smooth, malty palate. Ferments dry and crisp. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 71-75%. (48-56° F, 9-13° C)

Wyeast 2035 American Lager Yeast. Bold, complex and aromatic, good depth of flavor characteristics for a variety of lager beers. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (48-58º F, 9-14° C)

Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager Yeast. Rich, Dortmund-style, crisp, dry finish. Soft profile accentuates hop characteristics. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (46-56° F, 8-13° C)

Wyeast 2112 California Lager Yeast. Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65° F, (18° C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. Flocculation - high; apparent attenuation 67-71%. (58-68° F, 14-20° C)

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast. AKA 34/70
A Carlsberg type yeast and most widely used lager strain in the world. Produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character with a crisp finish. Will ferment in the mid 40's to mid 50's for various beer styles. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 69-73%. (48-58° F, 9-14° C)

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast. Used by many German breweries to produce rich, full-bodied, malty beers. Good choice for Bocks and Dopplebocks. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (46-58° F, 8-14° C)

Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils Yeast. Classic pilsner strain from the home of pilsners for a dry, but malty finish. The perfect choice for pilsners and all malt beers. Sulfur produced during fermentation dissipates with conditioning. Flocculation - med.. to high; apparent attenuation 70-74%. (50-58° F, 10-14° C)

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager Yeast. A unique strain, capable of producing fine lagers. Very smooth, well rounded and full-bodied. Benefits from temperature rise for diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (48-56° F, 9-13° C)

Edit Oh, I see you changed your post and it was 2007, Nevah mind! :D

Thank you all for the responses. I couldn't remember the yeast I used, so I tried to look up the yeast on the internet. After your next post, I went down to my Kitchen and grabbed my Beer log to get the right type.

On a happy note, I came home from work just a bit ago, and I am seeing some action from my airlock. I'm only getting a bubble every 3 seconds or so, but at least I know that it is doing it's job. :)

Back