Lesson Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranch

Reaction score
So my 2nd AG didn't go so well. I thought it had, but it has been tasting very sub-par for weeks now and I think I've figured it out: I just kegged up a Southern English Brown and it was spot on. While it's not my favorite style, I think it may be the best beer I've made in terms of control and precision. The only real difference between my failed 2nd AG and the most dead-on beer I've made? Controlled fermentation temperatures. I was getting lazy and not keeping my carboys in a water bath and it came back to haunt me.

I suppose the point is control the fermentation temp. I know we've all heard it a thousand times, but here is another true testament that it makes all the difference.

Prost!

Ranch

My beers have certainly taken a turn for the better since I started watching my temps. I use a water bath and an aquarium pump and I'm able to manage my temps for ales pretty well.

My best beers have come since I've had better control on fermentation. If you can get your hands on a spare fridge, especially a free one, all you need is an electronic temperture controler. It will only set you back $60.

Back