Stupid Mistake...Frozen Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlstarbuck

Reaction score
So in the process of kegging a batch last night, I somehow left the probe to the temp controller hanging out of the keezer. It tried and tried to get my whole garage down to 40 degrees...but only managed to freeze my beer. :smack: All of the bottles that I have in it are frozen. I had a partially full keg and the full one that I just put in it last night. I didn't open up either keg to take a peek...I'm too scared.

I unplugged the keezer to let it thaw. What kind of effect will this have on my beer?

I've done it, and with a lot more beer. Some of it seemed normal afterwards, one of the kegs was "off", another one tasted great but the head went away. Good luck!

Yeah I kind of thought that if anything, head retention will suffer the most. I hate when I make brewing mistakes. It's hard to RDWHAHB when it's all frozen!

I have froze an octoberfest before on accident. when thawed it was still great and even held carbonation! I know a brewer that does this on purpose. So he can open the keg and scoop the ice off of the top. I would thaw and pour a pint!

mlstarbuck said:
So in the process of kegging a batch last night, I somehow left the probe to the temp controller hanging out of the keezer. It tried and tried to get my whole garage down to 40 degrees...but only managed to freeze my beer. :smack: All of the bottles that I have in it are frozen. I had a partially full keg and the full one that I just put in it last night. I didn't open up either keg to take a peek...I'm too scared.

I unplugged the keezer to let it thaw. What kind of effect will this have on my beer?

Ice beer!
Just freeze concentrate it and have a cocktail. It is an option.

Latest posts

Back