US-05 vs S-04 - Need Advice quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eobie

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a pumpkin ale and am about to pitch yeast. OG is 1.088 and it was mashed at 154. I want to use the s-04 and beersmith has an estimated finish of 1.019. Is that too high for 9.2% ABV pumpkin ale?

Not really if you want a little residual sweetness.

The lower you go - the drier and less sweet your finish.
Just make sure your yeast has finished and your FG has stabilized.

Right, I understand temps. Guess I'm more concerned with attenuation at this point. Us-05 attenuated better. Wanted s-04 for the more malty profile. Second guessing myself at this point.

I would go 05 not 04. 04 is probably gonna end up way too sweet and fruity IMHO. Even with a better attenuating yeast like 05, your recipe and mash temp should leave you with a sweet enough beer.

Well screw me. Just pitched the 04. Am going to ferment at 65 though so that should take care of the fruity.

There is NO WAY to correctly measure FG before you start, it's only a guess. From 88 to 19 should give a good beer, if it's lower or higher...relax and enjoy

true.
The yeast in your fermentor weren't consulted when beersmith wrote the algorithm. I've had s-04 attenuate much better than its internet reputation many times.

That's a high OG. Hope you properly rehydrated at least 17g (1.5 packs ) of that S-04.

That's a high OG. Hope you properly rehydrated at least 17g (1.5 packs ) of that S-04.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. If you pitched one packet of 04, you could pitch the 05 as well and see what you get.

Edit: never mind, you replied while I was typing.

1.019 isn't too high for a pumpkin beer at that OG. I would recommend that you raise the temp after 3 days of fermentation 1 degree a day until 7 days. It will help the yeast work a bit longer and attenuate as you expect. After a few day of fermentation you'll be past the point of the yeast throwing off flavors. Give this one time and you'll be enjoying a great beer this fall.

Back