Another DIY stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So finally got around to destroying an external hard drive (a working one :( that i never used) that ive had for 8 years. It was in an external hard drive case, which I then repurposed to hold the fan be the stirplate. Works nicely and got it working.

I used this fan from amazon with a built in speed control and usb plug, so all I needed was one of my spare USB wall plugs to make it work. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Heres a picture of it built, pretty simple took the magnets out of the hard drive and had trouble getting them centered to spin the bar so broke them into pieces and just glued the pieces, now it spins and gets a great vortex untill the vortex touches the spin bar and it shoots off to the side.

2012-03-11_11_44_55.jpg

Unattached the speed control and screwed it on the edge of the case so it was nicely mounted, ran the cables through the ports on the case, came out to be a pretty clean install:

2012-03-11_11_45_20.jpg

The stand pieces make it so it sits level on its side and make a great resting place for the flask on top, holds it nicely in place and is very stable.

And heres an action shot with a nice vortex and some floating bubbles (which we spent a good 20 min watching and playing with the floating bubbles :D )

2012-03-10_16_55_49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back