LHBS or On Line Retailer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlatheSurferDude

Reaction score
I got into a bit of a debate a few weeks back about where to get supplies. When I got my starter kit from Christmas a year ago it came from Midwest Supplies. Because of that I started purchasing other items from them. I do have a LHBS store in the area (actually 2). They are nothing on the size of a Midwest or Austins, but they are local.

I asked my friend if he wanted to place an order sometime through Midwest. His basic response was he would rather support the Mom and Pop down the street. I get that and in fact I have made several purchase the last few weeks including equipment and ingredients at my LBHS. I tend to like to support the locals as well.

My issue is when I look at pricing and how much less expensive it is to get the same item on line and that includes shipping. If I'm smart about what I'm ordering and making sure maximize my what I'm ordering, it helps out even more on the shipping.

My LHBS seems to have a good supply of ingredients and they package their own extract kits which I have used. So they have available most of the basics. But as I said earlier no where near the inventory of someone like Midwest.

I guess my what I'm looking for is how people would look at this? Try to buy, at a higher expense, from the local store to help business and support them and the local brew market, buy from the good on-line retailers, or a combination of both?

Maybe I'm just over thinking this but have to think about something brew wise as my fermenters are full and won't be brewing another batch for a week or to. I guess I should feel lucky to have a store that is available where I live for those short notice type items...

I tend to buy equipment online for the price, but things I need in small amounts like specialty grains, from the LHBS since I only have to pay for the small amount I wnat and not a whole pound. Also small cheap supplies I get from the LHBS and skip the shipping fee.

The LHBS may adjust prices if he knows he's gonna lose a sale. after all some profit beats no profit.
Print your next order and ask LHBS to price match. After all what is he gonna say - yes or no. He may even thank you for the opportunity to get your biz

It really depends on what works for you. I have a LHBS that is about 15 minutes away, but I almost always order my ingredients or equipment through an online vendor. I can't say enough good things about Brewmaster's Warehouse. I'll go to the LHBS to have my CO2 tank filled and to pick up miscellaneous supplies. I honestly get better customer service through the online vendors than the local store.

I have a GREAT LHBS a few blocks from where I work. I've been very happy with them, recommend them to everyone, and frequent them whenever I can.

BUT, as I always say, my money belongs in my daughter's belly, not the owner's of my LHBS. Therefore, when the value works in my favor, I place orders online. This week I'm picking up some small mixed stuff, so I'm going to them, but whenever I need a lot of stuff I order from AustinHomebrew.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about being in the KC area. I often struggle with this issue as well. Since they are so much more expensive I end up going there for only yeast and impromptu brew sessions. I really would prefer to support them more, but my brewing budget isn't that big. Personally I think they're drastically over priced.

Airborneguy said:
I have a GREAT LHBS a few blocks from where I work. I've been very happy with them, recommend them to everyone, and frequent them whenever I can.

BUT, as I always say, my money belongs in my daughter's belly, not the owner's of my LHBS. Therefore, when the value works in my favor, I place orders online. This week I'm picking up some small mixed stuff, so I'm going to them, but whenever I need a lot of stuff I order from AustinHomebrew.

My LHBS owner is pleasant and has good 50# sack prices on 2-row. That said, his selection is limited and other prices almost double online prices. I agree w/ airborneguy--my money is for my living, not LHBS profits.

I actually just started brewing so I just bought all my gear. The cheapest way it worked out was to buy almost everything from LHBS. Even if his stuff was a buck or two more per item, it more than balanced out the shipping costs of ordering online. Agree that I should look out for my concerns before a local businessman, but don't assume you save money ordering online.

I only order on line when I know that my LHBS (Brew Brothers) doesn't have the item. I tried for a few months last year locally to buy Simcoe, when they came back to me and said it was no go I ordered it from MoreBeer. I've occasionally used Williams Brewing but my last order pissed me off a bit with the responses I got from them so no more Williams for me. Locally almost all the prices are less than or equal to on line and frankly if I asked them to compete with someone else's price I have no doubt they would match it.

If you order stuff away from where you live without giving them a shot to satisfy your needs then you are ultimately shooting your own interests in the foot and those of your community.

Fizzycist said:
I actually just started brewing so I just bought all my gear. The cheapest way it worked out was to buy almost everything from LHBS. Even if his stuff was a buck or two more per item, it more than balanced out the shipping costs of ordering online. Agree that I should look out for my concerns before a local businessman, but don't assume you save money ordering online.

Really? My LHBS sells a 1 keg kit for damn near $300 including a 5 pound co2 tank and a picnic tap and a cheap regulator. They don't offer co2 refills nor was he helpful in recommending a place to get it filled (one is about 2 miles from the store ....either he don't know or didn't care).

His pound sacks of grain are always $3.50 and up. Yeast starts at 4.29 for dry packets and he has crap for malt selection.

He basically deals with first timers and brewers best kits. I wish I could just tell people to stay away or drive the hour to Athens to get better service ( so sad I have moved).

All in all i and the other homebrewers I know stick to northern brewer, key connection or the other guys who will ship.

I ONLY go to my LHBS if I break a hydrometer or god forbid if I ever ran out of starsan.

Agree that I should look out for my concerns before a local businessman, but don't assume you save money ordering online.

When I make my decision to purchase online, it's definitely not based on an assumption. I run the numbers to see which works in my favor. In Austin's case, shipping on $100 orders is free, so when I need equipment, its a no-brainer.

If you order stuff away from where you live without giving them a shot to satisfy your needs then you are ultimately shooting your own interests in the foot and those of your community.

How so? We're not talking about a grocery store here (aka, something I need to live). There would be very little impact on me if I didn't have an LHBS in the area.

Piratwolf said:
--my money is for my living, not LHBS profits.

Just to stir the pot, that is a bit of a false economy, no? LHBS 'profits' go into paying local rent, local taxes, keeping property values up by not showing a bunch of boarded up store fronts, and so on. Unless you are really being raked over the coals, the final price difference once all is worked in is probably not that severe for what is, to most, a luxury hobby. If kids are that close to not being fed, best get out of it altogether until things loosen up.

Now, to put my soap box away, I'll say that I buy most of my things mail order at Northern Brewer. Not because I think I am saving much, but because I like the convenience of front door delivered materials. That, and my LHBS employs college students who are very knowledgable brewers but HORRIBLE at coming out of their student shells and interacting with customers. More often than not I'll walk through and they won't break out of their rap session to say hi or even offer assistance. It's not their fault, I really should mention to the owner as that is just bad management. To an uptight consumer, anyway. I never thought of brewing as being all that counter culture....

Edit: Northern Brewer

I'd like to use my local more but they just don't have all that much for a selection. I use them to buy bottles and that's about it.

Love to help local guys - I shop small whenever possible but I can't force a retailer to handle more inventory or better inventory. Thus - Northern Brewer gets 98% of my brewing dollar.

BeerG0ggles said:
Unless you are really being raked over the coals, the final price difference once all is worked in is probably not that severe for what is, to most, a luxury hobby. If kids are that close to not being fed, best get out of it altogether until things loosen up.

I know you're just playing Satan's advocate here, but as I pointed out in the part of the post you didn't quote, the LHBS prices are nearly double and selection is limited. Like airborne guy, I do a LOT of research. Plus, while not a math whiz, i can figure in the cost of shipping if i use a calculator. So, no, it's not a false economy.

Also, I don't have kids, although I'm hoping.

Cheers to better beer!

My LHBS is about 30-35 minutes from where I live. So, it's not usually worth it to me to make a trip out there. I'll drop by if I happen to be in that part of town but that rarely corresponds with when I need a big batch of ingredients. Otherwise, I order online.

However, a LHBS and beer store is opening just a few blocks from my house this upcoming Spring. If they have good selection and good prices then I'll likely get most of my supplies there (anyone who's been to Hop City in ATL, feel free to comment - they're opening a store in Birmingham).

I have JW Dover about 10 minutes or so up I90 from me. Their prices are a bit higher than online on most stuff,but comparable when you factor in shipping. Some things are def on the high side. Also since my car is still waiting to be fixed at the body shop,I pretty much have to get supplies online. I like Midwest,since they have Fed-Ex home delivery. It's fast & quality of delivered product is very good. Not to mention,their 2nd cheapest delivery method.

working.png

living in mpls, Midwest and NB are technically LHBS for me, and i go to Midwest for most of my brewing purchases. i think i would mail order from them if i didn't live here, they're a great store. but i also have an actual LHBS about five minutes away from my house that i like a lot, great shop, reasonable prices, great people, so i try to give them some business even if i can get something from the big guys. i appreciate the small store, the guys who work there, and the convenience. i exchange all my co2 there, buy my bottle caps and cleaning supplies there, and try to bring the employees there some beer from time to time to thank them for being my LHBS. long story short, the big guys are great, so use 'em, but if you have a good LHBS, use them too.

Yeah,I agree with that. when I have a car,& only need a couple little things,I go to JW Dover. Otherwise,if I need A lot of stuff,I'll see if Midwest can save me some cash.

I have 2 LHBS's in my area.

The better stocked one is only open 3 afternoons, Saturday and a few hours on Sunday. I went once and had a good experience. But, all the new customers while I was there were advised to call first. Last week I called and got the answering machine that stated the store hours. It's a 50 minute drive. I went and the store was closed. I went to McD's and returned later. I was there 45 minutes after the opening time.

I then went to the other one. And bought a sack of 2-row and other grains and yeast for 2 brews.

I will use them for bulk grain buys and emergencies but will get most everything else online.

I just want to add that I would be willing to pay a little more if my LHBS was truly local, say within 5 minutes from my house. The convenience factor would be well worth the few extra dollars in that case. My current LHBS is only a few blocks from work, but I'm heading there at the beginning of rush hour traffic in Brooklyn, going away from home, so they aren't as convenient as one would initially believe.

I usually buy local. Due to poor planning, I usually buy and brew. If my LHBS didn't have something I would have no problem ordering online. My LHBS has actually gotten better as far as more stock, including equipment and fittings. I usually brew 3gal batches, so price is not as much of a concern to me. I prefer local, but have no problem going online.

Granted, we are still beginners . . . But we buy everything we can at the LHBS. But, if they don't carry what I want, I won't hesitate to go online. I would rather pay more and support a local business and also build a relationship with owner. He's wierd but really good at brewing and will help with anything. He's a great resource!

Ingredients and smaller "I need this today" equipment purchases - LHBS. Grain prices are too high, but it beats the added costs with shipping for online orders. (although I'm working in on a group buy so that takes care of the base malts) I do like to support them as well. Its a busy shop, with for the most part friendly people, and good beer conversations. If the LHBS was to go out of business, I'd be disappointed.

For more specific and larger equipment, I go online. It lets you price shop and look at reviews. What looks like the same thing may be of different quality from different places. And the LHBS seems a bit too high in their equipment prices.

How so? We're not talking about a grocery store here (aka, something I need to live). There would be very little impact on me if I didn't have an LHBS in the area.

A few more unemployed people in your community, less rents & taxes flowing into the community, etc. Why send money to Texas, California or other states instead of keeping it where you live?

+1 for negotiating with local shops. What do you value? If price is the only thing, order where its cheapest. I value being able to taste the grains I put in my beer and smell hops before I buy them. I like seeing stuff before I buy and being able to ask the owner questions about specific ingredients. I'm willing to pay a little extra for that - not because I want to 'subsidize' the local guy or something altruistic like that, but because I value what he has to offer. And chances are his margins are pretty dang slim and he's willing to work hard to keep a customer - most are willing to negotiate, within reason to keep my business. Free market, buy where you get the best value.

At least that's how I roll. Shop where you want, brew what you want, don't be a tool.

This subject really hits home this weekend ,I have 3 place's
in which to buy brewing supplies ,all within an hour or less
travel time and all competitively priced ,one big name an two
smaller places ,so it all comes down to Customer Relations
IE - "don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining "
is really the nicest way I can think of putting it.That is to
say there are now two places i will be doing da bis with for
for the foreseeable future

I enjoy the price and convenience of online shopping. With the nearest shop being at least 20 minutes away from me, it can be a hassle for smaller trips.

I do enjoy that the two local shops I have gone to (Thirsty Brewer and Annapolis Homebrew) were very helpful and informative.

At this point, I will probably continue to get most of my supplies online. I will definitely get my liquid yeast from the local folks to ensure the temperature remains fairly low. I will also get last minute things from the locals.

If I had a place like Northern, Midwest, Austin, Brew Gadgets, etc. within driving distance, I don't think I would bother with the internet much.

A few more unemployed people in your community, less rents & taxes flowing into the community, etc. Why send money to Texas, California or other states instead of keeping it where you live?

I live in NYC, we have close to a million people unemployed here. Four more wouldn't make a difference. ;)

On the flip side, my LHBS is the only one of two in Brooklyn. They are packed every time I go there. They definitely have not even noticed that I've been buying in bulk and shopping there much less than I used to.

I have a LHBS very close to me. I give him 90% of my business. His prices for grains, extract etc. is pretty normal, so I buy thrm there. Yeast is anothe rthing I always but ther because I can check the date. His hop prices are high so I but most of my hops online. The hops I use frequently I but online, but some hops I just but from him.

Having a LHBS nearby can save a brew day if you need something at the last minute, so I try my best to support him. If a couple of bucks of my business keeps him open then I will support that....

If I had a place like Northern, Midwest, Austin, Brew Gadgets, etc. within driving distance, I don't think I would bother with the internet much.

it is a nice perk. :mug: i still find myself ordering things like hops that the big guys run out of (simcoe, citra, etc.) from the inter webs. i received a Lb of whole hops last week from freshhops.com (highly recommend them) and there's some online stores that have kits i enjoy drinking, so i order from those places (homebrewheaven.com has a great IPA that's clone of a local brewpub's IPA. great beer, i order a few kits a year from them)
i think brewers who live in cities like Austin or Minneapolis/st. p. are pretty lucky to have a big internet retail warehouse(s) and a selection of LHBS to chose from.

BUT, as I always say, my money belongs in my daughter's belly, not the owner's of my LHBS. Therefore, when the value works in my favor, I place orders online......

This is exactly how I feel.

When people start telling me what I should or shouldn't buy, I tell them that when they start paying my bills, they can tell me how to spend my money. Until then, shut your pie-hole. (ok. I really don't say that last part.. :) U

E

I buy all my grain at the LHBS. He has a pretty good selection of malts. 2Row goes for $1.70/lb and all the other grains are $2.00/lb. I'd say he has at least 30 different malts to work with.

But I buy hops and yeast online. The price is low enough that even w/shipping to Hawai`i I can get more online than locally.

My LHBS is about 60 miles away but we go to Austin at least twice a month. I just have to have my list ready.

JeffersonJ said:
My LHBS is about 30-35 minutes from where I live. So, it's not usually worth it to me to make a trip out there. I'll drop by if I happen to be in that part of town but that rarely corresponds with when I need a big batch of ingredients. Otherwise, I order online.

However, a LHBS and beer store is opening just a few blocks from my house this upcoming Spring. If they have good selection and good prices then I'll likely get most of my supplies there (anyone who's been to Hop City in ATL, feel free to comment - they're opening a store in Birmingham).

Went by there this weekend in atl. They are revamping that store as well. They seemed to have very good prices but were out of a lot of stuff since they were renovating but the main guy seemed knowledgeable and cool. I told my friend whom I was visiting that he was lucky to have a place like that nearby.

I got into a bit of a debate a few weeks back about where to get supplies. When I got my starter kit from Christmas a year ago it came from Midwest Supplies. Because of that I started purchasing other items from them. I do have a LHBS store in the area (actually 2). They are nothing on the size of a Midwest or Austins, but they are local.

I asked my friend if he wanted to place an order sometime through Midwest. His basic response was he would rather support the Mom and Pop down the street. I get that and in fact I have made several purchase the last few weeks including equipment and ingredients at my LBHS. I tend to like to support the locals as well.

My issue is when I look at pricing and how much less expensive it is to get the same item on line and that includes shipping. If I'm smart about what I'm ordering and making sure maximize my what I'm ordering, it helps out even more on the shipping.

My LHBS seems to have a good supply of ingredients and they package their own extract kits which I have used. So they have available most of the basics. But as I said earlier no where near the inventory of someone like Midwest.

I guess my what I'm looking for is how people would look at this? Try to buy, at a higher expense, from the local store to help business and support them and the local brew market, buy from the good on-line retailers, or a combination of both?

Maybe I'm just over thinking this but have to think about something brew wise as my fermenters are full and won't be brewing another batch for a week or to. I guess I should feel lucky to have a store that is available where I live for those short notice type items...

I'm all for keeping it local but I think that support mantra should go both ways. Personally, I think the two shops in your neck of the woods are just plain high. I restrict my shopping at either shop for when I absolutely need something for an upcoming brewday and can't get it in time anywhere else.

living in mpls, Midwest and NB are technically LHBS for me, and i go to Midwest for most of my brewing purchases. i think i would mail order from them if i didn't live here, they're a great store. but i also have an actual LHBS about five minutes away from my house that i like a lot, great shop, reasonable prices, great people, so i try to give them some business even if i can get something from the big guys. i appreciate the small store, the guys who work there, and the convenience. i exchange all my co2 there, buy my bottle caps and cleaning supplies there, and try to bring the employees there some beer from time to time to thank them for being my LHBS. long story short, the big guys are great, so use 'em, but if you have a good LHBS, use them too.

Isn't it cool to live in a place where we have BOTH NB and Midwest as the LHBSs!?!?!
That said who is your other LHBS in Minneapolis??

Thanks everyone for all of the excellent feedback. I think at the end of the day one needs to do what they feel is best for there situation. I'm sure I'll continue to use both avenues of making purchases but would anticipate the bulk of my purchases will be made on-line.

Back