Made a starter using WLP530 -- starter "blow off" question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, with my stir plate, I have made a 1.8 liter starter of 1.050 (I know it's high, but I'm making a tripel here and I don't want lazy yeast!) wort, and I pitched it last night only to come downstairs and see a small river of starter flowing from the stir plate to a towel I keep near it in case this happens.

The krausen on this guy is huge. Even with a stir plate and great gas exchange, it's producing a great amount of CO2, healthy yeast, and plenty of foam.

My question is, and I know it's a RDWHAHB thing when yeast blows off during primary, but will my beer suffer from the starter going nuts like this?

Thanks for the help, HBT!

You should be fine as long as you pitch the correct amount of yeast and ferment at the correct temperature range. Use a blow-off tube once you pitch the yeast, just in case. In fact, it's a good idea to use a blowoff with all beers cuz you never know when it's going to go crazy.

You should be fine as long as you pitch the correct amount of yeast and ferment at the correct temperature range. Use a blow-off tube once you pitch the yeast, just in case. In fact, it's a good idea to use a blowoff with all beers cuz you never know when it's going to go crazy.

I have head nothing but this advice for WLP 530. Supposedly this guy blows off a lot when high gravity beers are involved.

My starter went nutz with 530. Really depends on how much you lost. You could add more dme/h20 to step it up if needed. I fermented at low temps on the beer and was happy with the outcome!

My starter went nutz with 530. Really depends on how much you lost. You could add more dme/h20 to step it up if needed. I fermented at low temps on the beer and was happy with the outcome!

Well, I probably lost about a few ml of solution to the spillage, so I'm not that concerned. It's damned near 2 liters worth of starter, too, so I imagine I'm going to be just fine.

It's probably spilling right now while I'm at work, though =(

Back