covering wort pre-hops to achieve boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it ok to cover the wort to achieve a quicker boil prior to the 60 min hop addition?

Sure, just be aware that you are very prone to sticky boil overs if you do that. Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine.

You shouldn't cover your brew kettle,especially when bringing the tap water to a boil. You'll want the chemicals in the water to boil off,not condense back into said water. That being said,I'm forced to use an electric stove,so after I steam away a quart+ of water,I've been known to put the lid on for a few minutes to get it boiling. But after adding my DME,& start doing additions,no. It foams up fast enough as it is.

I usually partially cover the kettle to get it up to boil faster. Then I have the lid set so that I maintain the boil, but also allow boil-off to happen properly.

I use double filtered water so I don't have to worry (so much) about getting rid of chemicals (like you would from straight tap water). I don't drink tap water where I live sp I won't brew with it either. It's almost time for me to change my water filters in fact. Probably for the last time where I'm living. :rockin:

Thanks all. It's nice to have a site where you can ask questions while you are brewing and get quick answers. I covered the pot until about 200° and then keep the foam controled for the next 12°. Now I'm boiling happily with 30 mins until my next hop addition.

yes, watch the kettle like a hawk if you cover it completely... I had a boil over about a month ago.. SUCKS! I use a candy deep fryer thermometer that hangs on the lip of the kettle. Therefore I cant cover completely and allows to keep an eye on the wort. Once the hot break comes remove the lid and begin your boil. The lid is no match for hot boiling wort and it will make a mess lol

isn't it the DMS from the malt that needs to be vented off? i didn't think it was the water or hops that were of any concern aside from boiling over

Back