How many gallons of wort needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigT

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first ag batch this weekend and I feel pretty confident with all the techniques except I just have one question. How many gallons of wort do you collect to end up with 5 gallons after the boil?

it depends on your boil off rate. I collect 8 gallons for a 90 minute boil to end with 6 gallons in the kettle.

It depends. However, I will usually plan on collecting about 7 gallons pre-boil, assuming my final runnings are above ~1.020. This usually gives me about 5.5-6G post-boil for a 60 minute session, and after trub losses in my fermenter, I should have a hair over 5G finished beer.

like the others have said it depends how fast your boil off is. hopefully by this point you should know how much you boil off during an average 60 minute boil. also you have to account for the grain soaking up about a gallon or so of the water.

I start off with 9 gallons before mashing. I usually mash with 5-6 gallons depending on the grain bill (pounds of grain). I try and shoot for around 2 liters of water per pound of grain. I sparge with remaining water and shoot for 6.5-7 gallons in the kettle pre-boil. That gets me to around 5.5-6 gallons post-boil, which means I get 5-5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I plan on starting out with 60 minute boils. I never noticed really how much boiled off while doing extract cause I was doing partial boils and just adding water til I reached 5 gallons

I plan on starting out with 60 minute boils. I never noticed really how much boiled off while doing extract cause I was doing partial boils and just adding water til I reached 5 gallons

You could start with 6.5 gallons to start. If you boil off too much, adjust the flame next time and just add water to top up with this time if your OG is too high.

Back