New brewer here, any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornraker

Reaction score
Hello all i'm new to the forum and home brewing as well. Looks like theres a lot to be learned and a good deal of info looks like it can be found on this cool site. Thank you in advance. I bought a starter kit from Northern Brewer that will be arriving sometime next week. I bought the Caribou Slobber extract kit if anybody is familiar with that. I'm trying to get as much know how as possible before I start so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

get friendly with the search function here on HBT... most if not all of your questions have already been answered.

My tip is to read the stickies and current discussions on homebrewtalk.com, THIS ENTIRE PLACE IS ONE BIG SERIES OF TIPS.

I alone have posted something like 26,000 tips on here...And I'm only one of 40,000 members.....so you have plenty to choose from. I'm not gonna repost them all here, you're gonna have to do some of the work yourself. ;)

Welcome to the obsession. :mug:

Think of any question you have and use the search feature. If you're a new brewer, odds are that you will have a lot of the same questions as other new brewers.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned from this site.

YouTube is your friend too.

Good luck!

Greetings fellow noob.

As a meager 3-batch vet, I would advise the following:

1.) Follow your recipe "to a T." You may have some grand ideas, you may get some conflicting outside advice. But for this first one, just follow the recipe and make beer. It may not be the best possible beer, but it will be beer. After you have learned some things, you can freelance a little with the process.

I didn't follow the instructions and my first batch did not resemble beer in the least.

2.) Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

3.) Ask questions first. If you are doubtful about something, ask first. Or at least search the forum for your answer. Don't wing it! People have been making beer for millennia. Someone has asked the same question that is rattling around in your head right now.

Finally...

4.) Google the meaning of "RDWHAHB" If you don't have a homebrew, make it a craft brew!

Cheers!

Joe

Corn,

Check out "homebrewing" on Youtube. You can visualize people brewing their home made brews. Very informative.

NRS

my tip would be to NOT follow your kit instructions to a T, at least when it comes to time frames on fermenting and bottling. Most kit instructions will tell you your beer will be ready in a week or two - simply not true. rely on your hydrometer not the airlock.
oh, and welcome to hbt :mug:

my tip would be to NOT follow your kit instructions to a T, at least when it comes to time frames on fermenting and bottling. Most kit instructions will tell you your beer will be ready in a week or two - simply not true. rely on your hydrometer not the airlock.

I understand your point about the fermentation times in kit instructions being rushed.

The reason I said to "follow to a T" is this: I think that a lot of people that dispense wisdom on this and other boards forget what it is like to be a complete brewing virgin.

It is information overload.

Before you have ever popped the top of your first can of extract, should you really be inundated with the age old "How long should I ferment in primary?", "do I need a secondary!?" or even "is my beer ruined?" discussions? There are hundreds of conflicting opinions on this one forum alone.

Those kit instructions are designed to make beer. It may not be the best. But it will be beer. And hopefully, you will be encouraged to improve your process for future brews.

A lot of people (self included) take to heart when people say "Step one: Toss the instructions"

However, they are not at all qualified to do such a thing and can get into real trouble.

That's all!

Most of all, have fun. This is a great hobby.

First off, welcome to your consumation! :D

My default answer to anyone who asks what it takes to brew beer is to say 'if you can make tea, you can make beer.' The analogy holds true in many respects, especially if the person is extract brewing. In that same breath (as any Southener knows), it is also really hard to make sweet tea that will hold its flavor for two months or more. In essence, this is what beer making requires.

That leads to the first point; sanitation. A lot of books and instructions will say this is very important. That is an understatement. If you think about it, what beer brewers do is create an environment that is ideally suited to making little buggers grow and multiply. Through proper sanitation we ensure that only the buggers we WANT are the ones growing. There are several threads of very advanced brewers who have wasted dozens of gallons of beautiful beer because of contamination. I have heard of breweries who have had to shutdown major portions of their brewery due to one type of bad bacteria growing. Me personally, I won't even come close to a towel if I plan on being near my wort post boil. It is better to have drippy hands than it is to have ruined beer. Avoid your pant legs, towels, counter tops, and kitchen faucets without washing your hands.

Second, and I blame a lot of kits for not pressing this enough, is to make sure you cool your beer quickly. If you are doing stouts and porters it is not so important as the chill haze will be masked by the darkness of the beer. If you are doing anything with any kind of translucence (e.g. lagers, pils, ales, etc.) I strongly recommend getting a wort chiller.

I myself rarely followed directions in the kits when I started. I was lucky enough to be in the area of a well accomplished and knowledgeable LHBS. If you are not so lucky then you probably want to follow the directions and/or look at some of the example recipies on HBT.com. I may be a new member, but I have been watching this site for a long time. Seeing as to how you are from Oregon you should be able to find several above average LHBS's within driving distance from you.

Regarding how long to worry about your primary fermentation, wait until the yeast cake and trub seem to stabilize. This usually takes 3 days, +/-. If you check SG regularly or can swing for a refractometer all the better, but I found that watching the yeast cake is a pretty good lithmus test. When you rack to the secondary you may get a yeast cake that is as large as in the primary, but you can always rack into the primary again. The point is you don't want to leave a large/thick yeast cake exposed to the wort/beer for more than 3-4 days. Otherwise you will end up with a beer that is very 'bread'y and that is the primary drive to have a primary/secondary/tertiary fermentation vessel. If you enjoy the yeast flavor (and i know many who do) then this a moot point and I wouldn't worry about secondary fermentation.

Lastly, if you are worried about information overload then I suggest a different hobby. Perhaps quantum mechanics or philosphy. Not trying to be a dick, but I personally have been brewing for about 10 years and I learn something every time I come to HBT. But don't let that discourage you. The basics of brewing beer takes 5 minutes to teach and a lifetime to learn. Think about it. Mankind has known how to brew beer for thousands of years and we are still debating when is best to add hops to a boil. Making beer is a case study in 'it depends'. That is why I love it and I hope you do too!

Stay out of the DIY forum..... These guys have he coolest toys and will show you how to empty your wallet, LOL...... This place is a gold mine for the new brewer!!!!! Tons of helpful people here with loads of experience.

Actually i would read your instructions completely. Northern Brewer has some of the best instructions for correct brewing of kits. their times are right on for primary through bottling. when they say 6wks, stick to it. they are in the buisiness of "Good to Great homebrewing"

where some of the basic quick kits will have terrible instructions that will give you beer. IMHO, Norther Brewer rocks!!!

Superjunior: check out NortherBrewer if you are having problems with your kits' instructions. all of their kits have their instructions/ingredients online.

Stay out of the DIY forum..... These guys have he coolest toys and will show you how to empty your wallet, LOL...... This place is a gold mine for the new brewer!!!!! Tons of helpful people here with loads of experience.

Why my friend, whatever are you talking about? :D

Wow thanks for all the replies. Looks like there isn't a shortage of knowledge here! I'll stick to my instructions and try to do things right. I was going to do an ice bath to cool the wort, but the more I read, I realize a wort chiller might be best. Might go to Home Depot and try to build one as I am kind of reluctant to drop 50-60 bucks if i can make it. I'll let yal know how it goes. Thanks again

Wow thanks for all the replies. Looks like there isn't a shortage of knowledge here! I'll stick to my instructions and try to do things right. I was going to do an ice bath to cool the wort, but the more I read, I realize a wort chiller might be best. Might go to Home Depot and try to build one as I am kind of reluctant to drop 50-60 bucks if i can make it. I'll let yal know how it goes. Thanks again

As much as copper costs these days, you may not see much of a difference. DIY guys would know better, though.

Read How to Brew by John Palmer. This laid the basics out for me enough that I don't freak out on what I need to do when I brew, and I know what people are talking about most of the the time on this forum.

I understand your point about the fermentation times in kit instructions being rushed.

The reason I said to "follow to a T" is this: I think that a lot of people that dispense wisdom on this and other boards forget what it is like to be a complete brewing virgin.

It is information overload.

Before you have ever popped the top of your first can of extract, should you really be inundated with the age old "How long should I ferment in primary?", "do I need a secondary!?" or even "is my beer ruined?" discussions? There are hundreds of conflicting opinions on this one forum alone.

Those kit instructions are designed to make beer. It may not be the best. But it will be beer. And hopefully, you will be encouraged to improve your process for future brews.

A lot of people (self included) take to heart when people say "Step one: Toss the instructions"

However, they are not at all qualified to do such a thing and can get into real trouble.
my point was a lot of kit instructions advise that your fermentation is done and your ready to bottle in two or three weeks. While that may be technically true, with a little effort/research you will learn better methods with their ingredients and kit. I haven't done kits in a while but that has been my experience with their instructions ;)

Superjunior: check out NortherBrewer if you are having problems with your kits' instructions. all of their kits have their instructions/ingredients online.

my point was a lot of kit instructions advise that your fermentation is done and your ready to bottle in two or three weeks. While that may be technically true, with a little effort/research you will learn better methods with their ingredients and kit. I haven't done kits in a while but that has been my experience with their instructions ;)

I hear ya , Brother. I agree with you in principle.

Cheers!

Back