beers less than 1.052 and aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmh2

Reaction score
For beers with a specific gravity of 1.052 or less such as a blonde ale, do most people age it beyond the 4 weeks in a primary? I was wondering if I should let it sit in the keg for a few weeks or just force carb and drink it.

My 2 cents is it's ready to drink. A blonde isn't really about complexity (there's a joke in there somewhere if anyone wants a freebie :p)

for the gravities you mention, using ale yeast, I usually go with 2 weeks in primary then 3 weeks in bottles = ready to drink, really nice one month after, when its almost gone. Lager yeast takes about 2x longer

Eh, it depends on the beer. I don't think gravity is really the only factor. It has always seemed to me that a brown ale, for instance, needs to condition longer than a pale ale at the same gravity. That's just my subjective observations, though.

I say let your tongue be the guide. If it tastes good, drink it. If it tastes a bit green, let it age! Keep it simple :)

Back