Beer and a Cigar anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for cigars (or pipes) and beer ruining each others' taste...

I find it works well if you start them at the same time. After smoking a full pipe, I tried a beer, and needed to brush my teeth, gargle mouth wash, and drink a couple glasses of water to cleanse my pallet for the beer to be good.

When I do both at the same time, the beer washes down the smoke, and doesn't give it time to cling in my mouth. Also, the moisture seems to capture the smoke, so the flavor spreads around my mouth. A sip of beer reignites the flavors of the smoke, and the smoke brings the beer forward again.

I also find that smoking works best with full-bodied malty beers. RIS, Belgian Dubbles and Quads, barleywine, etc.

I'll then age it over toasted oak cubes that I've soaked in Scotch...and I'll probably end up dumping the majority of a bottle of Scotch into the secondary as well:drunk:.

So whaddaya think?

I think that sounds like a huge waste of scotch. I've been known to enjoy a hot scotchy with whatever I'm smoking on brewday, but the thought of using a bottle for soaking oak chips and fortifying a whole batch sounds scary to me.

I'm really new to cigars. I had heaps of cheap and nasty ones when I was younger, but my experience with cubans amounts to having had a couple of Romeo y Julietas. The last one I really sat there contemplating while I smoked it, and the enjoyment I got from it made me realise I should get into cigars. I'll still only have the occasional one (for health reasons)...

Anyway, my birthday's coming up soon, and I plan on getting a cigar and a beer to go with it. I was looking at the Partagas Serie P No. 2 and will be the one I go with unless they're out of stock. I was thinking maybe a Liefman's Goudenband would be a good beer to have with a cigar, and it's a beer I enjoy in and of itself anyway. Anyone know this particular cigar and know what it would go well with?

Anyway, my birthday's coming up soon, and I plan on getting a cigar and a beer to go with it. I was looking at the Partagas Serie P No. 2 and will be the one I go with unless they're out of stock. I was thinking maybe a Liefman's Goudenband would be a good beer to have with a cigar, and it's a beer I enjoy in and of itself anyway. Anyone know this particular cigar and know what it would go well with?

For me personally I like a full bodied strong cigar maybe a Joya de Nicaragua paired with an IPA or a Imperial IPA. If I have one on hand I really enjoy the Avery Maharaja.

I like any of the Fuente Hemingway Series (especially the Short Story) with a good beer. Robust Porter always seems to go well.

I don't have a cigar very often, but always keep my humidor full just in case.

I am starting to NOT like to pair a cigar with IPAs. The hops kill the subtle flavors from the cigar and just overpower it.

I let my son decide on the cigars we enjoy. So far he's done good in my book. I take care of the homebrew part. I'll agree with other posts above. Start enjoying them at the same time & you're good. Smoked Porter, Strong Scotch Ale & RIS work well four our tastes... YMMV...

I have not smoked tobacco in a while, either cigar or from the briar. I'm thinking that a nice belgian dark strong ale or dubbel would go really well with a slightly aromatic, leathery, earthy pipe tobacco. Ladies and gentleman... I think I found a perfect capstone to turn my horrible week into something good.

The thought of an IPA or IIPA and a cigar/pipe does not sound good to me... kinda gross actually but to each his/her own. Scotch ale, Stouts, Porters, Bitters, Old Ale, and dark belgians seem like they would be very nicely complimented by good tobacco... more dark beers that are malt/yeast forward come to mind... I've got research to do!

Back