Isolation Transformer solution for 240 V GFCI problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
I have read a lot of 240 volt GFCI threads where tapping off 120 volts to run pumps and other accessories have reeked havok with the GCFI. I was wondering if a simple isolation transformer could be the solution. A simple 240 volt to 120 volt transformer rated at maybe 300 to 400 VA may do the trick. I have seen them on Ebay for $15 to $20. The transformer would balance the 120 volt load across both legs of the 240 volt line and isolate any effects the motors may have. What do you electrical experts think? CodeRage, BrewBeemer?

As long as the transformer is rated to handle all the 120V loads (and then some - some safety margin is always in order) it seems like it should work.

Aren't there 240V GFCIs with a neutral line? It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to make. Making it cheaply might be another matter though. Probably cost more than $15 or $20.

Dave

Man that seems like the solution for a headache. Can't you use either a 240-volt pump or a 3-wire GFCI or a separate circuit for your pumps or SOMETHING besides a 20-pound transformer? How about one of those travel adapters? Cheap but I've never really played with one. Might be worth a shot.

Much easier and cheaper to use a dedicated 15 or 20 Amp 120v GFCI circuit.

Much easier and cheaper to use a dedicated 15 or 20 Amp 120v GFCI circuit.

Lots of guys run a single 240 volt line to their brew area thinking they can take a tap off one of the 120 v leg for their 120 volt stuff and it works until they install a 240 volt GFCI and it trips every other second. The solution of an isolation is what I thought of. I don't have the problem because I use natural gas. I thought of it while building a balanced power conditioner for my stereo yesterday.

Lots of guys run a single 240 volt line to their brew area thinking they can take a tap off one of the 120 v leg for their 120 volt stuff and it works until they install a 240 volt GFCI and it trips every other second.

Mine has never tripped, except when testing. I run 2 elements off the 240V, and 1 element (RIMS), 2 pumps, and 3 PIDs off of the 120V. I have a 50A GFCI in my main box and used all the correct wire sizes, etc.

Mine has never tripped, except when testing. I run 2 elements off the 240V, and 1 element (RIMS), 2 pumps, and 3 PIDs off of the 120V. I have a 50A GFCI in my main box and used all the correct wire sizes, etc.

I remember you posting in a thread where someone was having this problem. I bet this would have solved their problem.

If you install an isolating transformer and feed your 120v devices off or it you've defeated your GFCI protection on this "new" Circuit.

If you install an isolating transformer and feed your 120v devices off or it you've defeated your GFCI protection on this "new" Circuit.

No doubt. You would need a GFCI for the 120 volt stuff also. No free lunch. This applies when only a 240 volt line is available.

Back