Lager problem/Same funk every batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithspitt

Reaction score
I really don't know what my problem is but i can't make lager! I've never had a problem with ale. I got 10 gallons of a anchor steam like brew from midwest using white labs San Fransisco lager yeast. and i'm on the 3rd week of fermenting(O.G.1.05 now @ 1.018) and it smells like maple syurp and tastes like every lager I've ever made. a$$!:)mad: funk I don't have words for) I know the temp has not been above 65F. I think I should dump this batch and stick with ale. :mad:

umm, this sounds pretty normal. 3rd week, cooler fermentation, smells horrible and sulphurous....like my dad 3 hours after he eats at Burger King.

let it finish fermenting, give it a diacetyl rest, rack to secondary and lager it a couple months.

yeah, lagers are a little more work, but half the fun is the challenge and seeing how its different than an ale.

that said...I've only brewed 2 lagers. I do mostly ales :)

I have only done 2 lagers, but they both smelled like sulfur for the first few weeks. I think that is normal. I second the idea of just waiting longer than you would for an ale. It takes some time for the yeast to clean up their mess from what I have read.

Back