Bottling: 12oz vs 22oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I am relatively new to brewing and have decided to use 22oz bottles for my next batch. I figure it will be easier all around. I dont mind have to drink a 22oz every time either. I was wondering if how long it will take to carbonate in the bottle is affected by what size bottle I use?

I've never noticed a difference, I use both (I prefer the 22's) in most batches. I'm also pretty good about waiting the full 3 weeks before cracking one open.

It seems logical that there would not be big difference but I find that the larger bottles carbonate a little faster and better than my 12 oz. It still takes a good 2 weeks in my area.

In college we bottled in 40's and twisted the caps back on those badboys...

I like 22's as well, I find they carbonate faster as long as you don;t leave too much head space.

leave the same abmount you would for a 12, NOT double

Thanks for the help. In three weeks, I'll be complete. Until then I still have a few of my hefe's and my Belgiun Pale Ale.

Back