grinding the grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmongoose

Reaction score
if you grind up all of your grain for a 5 gallone recipe a couple of weeks before you actually brew will there be anything wrong with it? does it lose anything just sitting in an airtight bag?

A friend of mine bought a bunch of grain pre-milled. Some of it is a year old. He still uses it. It makes beer. I think it might get a little stale. Its not ideal, but should still work.

Oh, and dont Grind it. Mill it. You want the husks to remain intact to act as a filter bed.

well thats what i meant mill...i can do it at the homebrew shop where i get supplies. just didnt know if it would last a week or so..thanks for the info.

The grain you describe should be OK. My son had to transport two batches worth of pre-crushed grain (in sealed bags from MW) when he moved, and was delayed brewing in his new digs for a few months. The beer came out just fine.

I'm sure freshness will be fine as long as it's sealed. I would be hesitant to have more than one batch of ingredients milled. If the grain separates from the husks and settles to the bottom and you go to scoop out from the top, all youre getting is husks, I would think. It sounds like its just one batch from a kit you have, but that would be my only concern if you had enough ingredients for more than one batch that was already milled.

Shorter time from crush to brew is better, though a few weeks should be ok, provided it is in as tightly sealed a bag as you can find. A vacuum sealer would be ideal, but a zip top bag should keep the grains 'til you brew. :)

We used to grind our coffee at the store when we buy it, but now we bring the whole beans home and grind it just before we brew it. I've never done a side-by-side while brewing wort, but it would be interesting to see the results.

Back